Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ambulance staff told to check wheels"

Options
  • 24-03-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/ambulance-staff-told-to-check-wheels-wont-come-off-30118819.html
    AMBULANCE staff must now check the nuts on the wheels on their ambulance before they start their shift.

The internal memo telling them what to do is dated February 21 this year – exactly two weeks before the wheel came off an ambulance in Dundalk which had just brought a patient to hospital.

The internal HSE document gives detailed instructions on how to do the safety check.

"As you are all aware the National Ambulance Service has introduced yellow wheel nut markers on all its Frontline emergency ambulances and intermediate care vehicles," it states.

"These markers will assist staff with an early indication of potential loose wheel nuts."
    Although most professional drivers check their trucks, etc, at the start of the day, I don't see why all ambulances aren't given a quick check by a qualified mechanic at the start of the day, as I fear the wheel nuts are only the first thing of a slippery slope to getting the drivers having to check a lot more than a few loose nuts.

That, and I don't look forward to the line "failed to get to patient on time as we were checking nuts" :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You don't need a mechanic to check wheel nuts. Use the markers and a wheel brace to check. I did it before I drove a HGV at the start of the day. Common sence checks and something every professional driver should be sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Another slow news day at the rag that is the Independent.

As pointed out already, any professional driver should be capable of doing a basic check like looking at wheel nut indicators. If the indicators are out of line then grab a wheel brace or refer to a mechanic, whatever you feel safer with.

As for the 'Indo' trying to make something of the notice that was distributed, any change in practice, working guidelines that effect machinery, vehicles etc must be issued in writing and that comes under law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Infact ladies and gentlemen, ye are required by law to do a walk around check on an Ambulance since the 10th of September last year and maintain a record of doing so. Checks must be done once in every 24hours (IE if someone checks the vehicle at 7am, the 7pm crew would not be obliged, by law, to do the same check. Obviously it would be recommended). Same for all commercial vehicles.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/si/0348.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Idiot herald hack running with a non story, it's incumbent upon any professional to spend a few minutes checking over their vehicle prior to rolling.

Not capable of doing such checks? Not worthy to drive, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The majority of trucks & trailers are fitted with wheel nut indicators so it is easy to see if a wheel nut is loose,When I drove for a living artics/tankers the dailly checks could be done in about 5 mins also by doing checks and having a record of them you are actually covering yourself in the event of an accident.
    Or if there is damage to the vehicle you can make note of it before going on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

the_syco wrote: »
    That, and I don't look forward to the line "failed to get to patient on time as we were checking nuts" :/

Failed to get to the patient on time and killed three people because the wheel fell off.

Its basic stuff. Don't get hysterical about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Under the Safety health and welfare act 2005 a vehicle is classed as a place of work,I am sure most crews at the start of the day check the equipment in the back so a few mins checking the wheels etc should not be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

afaik all crews are required to check the ambulance stock pre-shift. That's before they start their work. So 10-15 minutes unpaid work each day. Now add another minute each shift to check the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/ambulance-staff-told-to-check-wheels-wont-come-off-30118819.html

Although most professional drivers check their trucks, etc, at the start of the day, I don't see why all ambulances aren't given a quick check by a qualified mechanic at the start of the day, as I fear the wheel nuts are only the first thing of a slippery slope to getting the drivers having to check a lot more than a few loose nuts.

Are you for real...... Getting a mechanic to check every ambulance before each shift?

Advertisement