Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras used in RTE

Options
  • 24-03-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Can someone tell me what sort of cameras would be used by RTE when filming the news in studio and when doing external news items like this taken at random

Are they a type of camcorder,if not what is the difference?

Also if someone wanted to have a film shown in cinema, what would it have to be on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are very specific standards in relation to broadcast TV standards, I don't know what the standard is exactly and I think it's different depending on what country you're in.

Your standard camcorder won't cut it either, these TV cameras, I think they're known as "ENG", cost something like €20,000 - €100,000, maybe more.

You could contact either RTE or a studio that creates content for RTE, there shouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't tell you.

Cinema is a league above again, I think they're on a much higher resolution but I'd guess you have more freedom with the recording equipment and can always put it into the right format.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭BenRowe

ScumLord wrote: »
    There are very specific standards in relation to broadcast TV standards, I don't know what the standard is exactly and I think it's different depending on what country you're in.

Your standard camcorder won't cut it either, these TV cameras, I think they're known as "ENG", cost something like €20,000 - €100,000, maybe more.

You could contact either RTE or a studio that creates content for RTE, there shouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't tell you.

Cinema is a league above again, I think they're on a much higher resolution but I'd guess you have more freedom with the recording equipment and can always put it into the right format.
    how would the equipment of a person doing weddings etc compare. Would the wedding videographer have ENG?

David Lynch shot Inland Empire with one of these

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

BenRowe wrote: »
    how would the equipment of a person doing weddings etc compare. Would the wedding videographer have ENG?
    No, they have no need for it. You can get great consumer level cameras that would have results that look just as good as a professional TV camera but for TV you need to have everything in a particular format. It doesn't matter if it looks the same the video has to be compatible with the equipment used in the TV studio. TV stations show content created with normal cameras it's just that if you were producing something for them they'd insist it's in the right format.

Video formats are a nightmare.

Sony make excellent cameras, I have one that produces some great images although it needs work, it's not a point and shot but with a little effort (both while shooting and in post production) you'll get very professional results that are more than enough for wedding videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

RTE uses XD-CAM format, on Sony PDW-700's, for ENG/EFP production. Studio cameras are a completely different animal.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭BenRowe

godfrey wrote: »
    RTE uses XD-CAM format, on Sony PDW-700's, for ENG/EFP production. Studio cameras are a completely different animal.

g
    what are the studio cameras format

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

BenRowe wrote: »
    what are the studio cameras format

When you say format do you mean what format do they record in?

As far as I'm aware the studio cameras in RTE don't record - they feed out to a gallery and they can record from there. I'm not entirely sure what format that is stored in. For SD recordings I believe it's MPEG50 encoded (in a Quicktime format?), not sure for HD.

Take The Late Late Show for instance, each camera doesn't run a record function. Instead they feed their picture back to the gallery where they are vision mixed into a live feed that goes out on air. This live feed is recorded but each of the cameras single feeds aren't (as far as I'm aware).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I imagine RTE witll record SD on Digibeta, but HD on HDCam or XDCam Disc ..... that's the standard for HD Tape based acquisition. Tapeless will be DNx120 MXF for Avid, Pro Res HD for FCP, possibly XDCam 50 which is new to the market for EVS to avid work flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

For Gallery based shows they'll record on decks in the shared appartus area, rather then on the camera itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Lump wrote: »
    I imagine RTE witll record SD on Digibeta, but HD on HDCam or XDCam Disc ..... that's the standard for HD Tape based acquisition. Tapeless will be DNx120 MXF for Avid, Pro Res HD for FCP, possibly XDCam 50 which is new to the market for EVS to avid work flows.

Pretty much everything in RTE news is shot on XDCam disc. They then capture at MPEG 50 and broadcast it SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

any RTE camera operators iv'e seen use XD-Cam ok, all the equipment these days must comply with the European Broadcast Union (EBU) guidelines. I have a Sony PMW 200 which qualifies as Tier 2L EBU R118. I've read some-place that the BBC uses them, don't know about RTE!
    Other cameras besides these can be used for Electronic News Gathering (ENG) but may qualify under different Tiers.
    More info here
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement