Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle lock for club spins?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

More recently I've joined a cycling club, find it great and will continue. However half way through our cycles we usually stop off for coffee at a wide range of coffee houses/cafes/service stations.

Usually the protocol has been just to leave the bikes outside and then head in for about 10-15 minutes. However I just feel uneasy with the bike being left outside unattended.

Most of the others in the group don't have locks for their bikes but one of the lads yesterday had a cable lock and locked it up when we went in so it got me thinking.

I've the bike tagged with two different brands of bike tags. One of the tags in a horrendous position on the top tube to make it more obvious. Although the bike is insured if it is kept in the house its not insured elsewhere.

The only time I am not with my bike is when it is left outside on the coffee stops and it makes me a wee bit nervous. So I am left with one of two options. Get insurance or invest some sort of lock.

I want to explore the lock situation a little bit more and was wondering what peoples' views are and what they currently do. In terms of locks the overwhelming requirement would be for it to be reasonably lightweight. I was looking at the stronger kryptonite u-locks but they seem a little overkill on the in terms of weight, though I appreciate their toughness factor. I am open to suggestions for a lock where the bike will be unattended for a reasonably short period of time. Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Leave it under more expensive or more expensive-looking bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

I had the same concern, so got this lock
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/abus-combiflex-pro-cable-lock/rp-prod88999
    It is very light, about the size of a mobile phone and fits into my saddle bag.
    On the down side the cable is not long enough to go around both wheel and frame and my guess is it could easily be cut with a half decent wire cutters.
    However it will deter the opportunistic thief who is just passing and notices unattended bike.
    It works for me, although whether that is in terms of security or just peace of mind I dont know! Perhaps both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Masala

Although the bike is insured if it is kept in the house its not insured
    elsewhere

... ooohhh that doesn't sound right!! That insurance should extend to 'outside the home' in my view. Contact your insurer and get it listed.

I presume you are talking about 'Home Insurance' ...not Named Article Insurance which is an extra premium. Also remember if claiming on the former - u are subject to an excess usually €250 whereas the latter is no excess an 'new for old'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

check this : http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12956647&p=18714403

especially the post about the cable ties !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TonyStark wrote: »
    ..... So I am left with one of two options. Get insurance or invest some sort of lock...
    Most insurance policies won't cover if the bike isn't locked using one with a specific rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭touts

Thieves are opportunists. When it comes to securing your house they say things like a gate/fence at the side and an alarm work not because the determined thief can't get past them but because 99.999% of thieves are not determined. They are opportunist and go for the easy target. You don't need to make your house a fortress you just need to make them see your neighbour's house as an easier target.

For club cycles when your bike will be one of many outside the cafe/station and where most of the bikes are unlocked then just get a small cheap lock (Any bike shop will have them or if you can wait Lidl and Aldi are bound to have them in a few weeks). It doesn't matter if a determined thief can cut through it with a bolt cutters in 10 seconds. You just want him to steal one of the other bikes and not yours. These guys just want to run up grab a bike and go. If they can save 10 seconds on that then they will. It is different if you are in town and EVERY other bike is locked. In that case you need a good quality strong lock (I have a Kryptonite lock). But for club cycles and sportives etc I just have a small basic Lidl lock that easily fits in my saddle bag.

Advertisement