Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 520

Options
  • 24-03-2014 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

So I currently have a Sony xperia T on bill that is doing a number of dodgy things. Considering getting the lumia520 as a stop gap. Will there be a massive difference in performance? Don't care about camera, mostly use for messaging and emails. Any advice gratefully received. Open to trying WP out of curiosity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Brilliant phone for the money... no flash though..... Think you can get it for under 80 which makes it bargain of the month

I was Android for years but was stuck for a phone and got the 520 to tide me over. I've since upgraded to the 920 and am impressed with windows and Nokia tbh....the 920 can be got very cheap on Tesco direct with code,under 190 via parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Both my kids have a 520 and they love it. You won't be playing the high end xbox games (which won't bother you given your post) but other than that it is a great phone, especially given the price.
    If I lost my HTC 8x I'd replace it with a 520 without hesitation.

If you do decide to go with a Windows phone I'd suggest that you get all of your contacts imported into Outlook.com (you will need a Microsoft account to use the phone properly) as this will make switching over a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

bidiots wrote: »
    Brilliant phone for the money... no flash though..... Think you can get it for under 80 which makes it bargain of the month

I was Android for years but was stuck for a phone and got the 520 to tide me over. I've since upgraded to the 920 and am impressed with windows and Nokia tbh....the 920 can be got very cheap on Tesco direct with code,under 190 via parcel motel

Thanks for this. Where can I get it for €80? I see on tesco direct its £75 which is 90 or so after using parcel motel. I'm very tempted - just want to make sure I'm getting the best deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kitty171184

I got one for my son at Christmas. It was €100 on o2 but then i used a prepay ungrade number and got it for 80.00. He loves it. I have the 820 myself and cannot fault it. Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

levi wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Where can I get it for €80? I see on tesco direct its £75 which is 90 or so after using parcel motel. I'm very tempted - just want to make sure I'm getting the best deal!

As Kitty has outlined, there are ways to get it fairly cheap....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I got this phone a few months ago for €99 on O2 as an upgrade. For emails, texts, calls, Netflix it's perfect. There is no flashlight as mentioned however. I used to have a Blackberry so any phone would have been an improvement.

Can't fault it at all. Never once froze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very fast phone. I love that about it. Every Android I pick up feels slow.

But Windows Phone is missing some features which you might miss coming from android. For example if you have 5 new emails. Look at one of them. The home screen tile show no new emails. Not 4 as you'd expect. No one press toggle for wifi/3G on/off. Can't dispaly more than 3 appointments on the home screen.

For email & messaging, works well for me. Fast and quick.
    Need to spend a little effort in finding the short cut to things.
    http://www.wpcentral.com/7-tips-type-faster-windows-phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

beauf wrote: »
    Very fast phone. I love that about it. Every Android I pick up feels slow.

But Windows Phone is missing some features which you might miss coming from android. For example if you have 5 new emails. Look at one of them. The home screen tile show no new emails. Not 4 as you'd expect. No one press toggle for wifi/3G on/off. Can't dispaly more than 3 appointments on the home screen.

For email & messaging, works well for me. Fast and quick.
    Need to spend a little effort in finding the short cut to things.
    http://www.wpcentral.com/7-tips-type-faster-windows-phone

+1 on the phone. It's generally great for the price and lots of great features.

Windows phone is in for a massive upgrade in the next couple of months (or a week or so if you're in the free "Developer Preview Program" :)) that should improve a lot of the little gripes you list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are major gripes and not little ones. They are also basic features they OS should have had from the first release in 2010.

That said should shouldn't need a 4 cores and 2GB of ram, for an android phone either. I was using a Samsung, S3 the other day and its so slow compared to the 520 in doing simple things like making a call, checking messages etc. But part of that is the vast amount of clutter they stuff on Android phones.

Advertisement