Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charolais heifer

Options
  • 23-03-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

what would be best bull. to uses on Oscar heifer out of Mogador dam.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

tm4335 wrote: »
    what would be best bull. to uses on Oscar heifer out of Mogador dam.

What age is she?
    Are you stuck with the idea of a Ch bull or would ya consider a Ba or Lim?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tm4335

she p b and is 2year old. I was think of used nelson or some of domino bull.

tm4335 wrote: »
    she p b and is 2year old. I was think of used nelson or some of domino bull.

I wouldn't fall out with Nelson. I've used a decent son of his from Dovea, Roundhill Doc RHI, not hard calved. I've used Excellent EXT on heifers too and like him (apart from the long head).
    At 2yo you'd like to be getting a calf into her! If she was mine she'd be springing soon!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Can Pirate still be got? What do ye lads think of him?

tanko wrote: »
    Can Pirate still be got? What do ye lads think of him?

I've used him too, on heifers. Good while ago now. Nothing wrong with him that I recall, maybe a bit compact, but it's a long time since I used him!

• Advertisement

good bull he cross well with cf 52.not sure if u can him now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

GJB OR HCA are good bulls for any heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

All depends on what you hopping for a bull or a heifer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

sheeper wrote: »
    All depends on what you hopping for a bull or a heifer ?

It's 50:50 unless you use sexed semen. Unless you're hoping for a replacement you've got to look for a terminal sire even within breed and the way things are going you're probably still hoping for a heifer.

But you are either hopping for a bull to sell or a hefier to keep (or maybe to sell) but the two are very different animals ! You can't pick which you are going to get but if you are aiming for a bull you pick a saleable sire
    if you hope for a female to keep pick a sure known for good female

• Advertisement

sheeper wrote: »
    But you are either hopping for a bull to sell or a hefier to keep (or maybe to sell) but the two are very different animals ! You can't pick which you are going to get but if you are aiming for a bull you pick a saleable sire
    if you hope for a female to keep pick a sure known for good female

True they are different animals and that's where a gamble comes into breeding followed by the excitement of calving.
    For a heifer though I would go with a terminal sire. I would wait to see what type of cow she was herself before trying to breed a replacement.

Depending on how she is breed her self

I would still wait until she reared a calf. She could have great breeding on paper but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If she's any good for breeding replacements she should have the longevity to breed a lot of replacements after even with a 50:50 average. Also an older cow should produce more milk to give a replacement the best start.

I would agree with that but if she is a good heifer with good breeding chances are on her side
    I have heard a lot of guys are flushing heifer atm and that can only end in disaster

Any how back to to the mogador heifer
    Pirate, Texan g, or a good old gin and tonic :-)

she is a Oscar heifer out of Mogador dam.

Advertisement