Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Server

Options
  • 23-03-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi guys, basically i have an old computer that isn't being used along with like 500gb of hdd and i want to do something with it and the idea i have in my head is to hook it up the the modem running what ever operating system it need so i can connect to it though my computer downstairs that is using a wireless card to back up my stuff over the wifi is this possible to do number one, and could ye link me on the OS and the instructions how to do so if possible.

Thanks
    Luke.

Comments

Install Ubuntu headless server, install Samba and configure shares on it which can be accessed by any device on the LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Post the specs so we can make a reasonable suggestion on what OS would run on it. CPU, RAM...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

qwertz wrote: »
    Post the specs so we can make a reasonable suggestion on what OS would run on it. CPU, RAM...

Pentium 4 dual core 3.00GHz
    1.50GB

From what i know that should be more then enough ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Pentium 4 dual core 3.00GHz
    1.50GB

From what i know that should be more then enough ? :)

More than enough but probably power hungry.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    More than enough but probably power hungry.

yeah its is :P but sure its more just for an experiement then actual use :)

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »
    Install Ubuntu headless server, install Samba and configure shares on it which can be accessed by any device on the LAN.

what do you mean by ubuntu "headless" server ? :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

what do you mean by ubuntu "headless" server ? :P

It means to install Ubuntu Server with no stack (No LAMP stack or anything). Ubuntu is a (free open source) linux operating system.

Mr. G wrote: »
    It means to install Ubuntu Server with no stack (No LAMP stack or anything). Ubuntu is a (free open source) linux operating system.

Oh i no what ubuntu is i just didnt understand what headless ment :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Oh i no what ubuntu is i just didnt understand what headless ment :P

Oops, my bad :D

Mr. G wrote: »
    Oops, my bad :D

no worries :)

I have it all installed now ubuntu 12.04 plus samba what do i do from here ? im not to good with this i haven't done anything like this before. and just making sure when i was installing ubuntu it came up, im not to sure what it was but i had to pik something else to install and i seen samba there so i pick that is that what is ment by installing samba or do i have to type in more codes for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

no worries :)

I have it all installed now ubuntu 12.04 plus samba what do i do from here ? im not to good with this i haven't done anything like this before. and just making sure when i was installing ubuntu it came up, im not to sure what it was but i had to pik something else to install and i seen samba there so i pick that is that what is ment by installing samba or do i have to type in more codes for it ?

Hi,
    It looks like you are having fun !

Firstly,that PC looks very old to me,is a liability and it may fail at any time.
    I would not even take in consideration to use it for backup of files,photos and so on...

Re Linux...i guess some people here don't know that some users dont know much about a standard PC and Windows and backup and start advising straight to Linux,where everything is "i dont care if the end user is familiar with Linux or not but i hate Windows,therefore,everyone hates it too..."

My friendly advise...sell it online OR donate it to a school.
    Go and get yourself a cost effective NAS with minimum 2 Hard Drives,setup on your network and use it !
    Also,for backup i advise to "backup your backup" too (copy/access your files on NAS for LIVE access and get a bigger usb drive for archived backup from NAS via USB port,at least once a month)

Enjoy it...

Hi,
    It looks like you are having fun !

Firstly,that PC looks very old to me,is a liability and it may fail at any time.
    I would not even take in consideration to use it for backup of files,photos and so on...

Re Linux...i guess some people here don't know that some users dont know much about a standard PC and Windows and backup and start advising straight to Linux,where everything is "i dont care if the end user is familiar with Linux or not but i hate Windows,therefore,everyone hates it too..."

My friendly advise...sell it online OR donate it to a school.
    Go and get yourself a cost effective NAS with minimum 2 Hard Drives,setup on your network and use it !
    Also,for backup i advise to "backup your backup" too (copy/access your files on NAS for LIVE access and get a bigger usb drive for archived backup from NAS via USB port,at least once a month)

Enjoy it...

Okay if you actually read the thread you would have seen that it is for an experiment i don't need another 500GB i just want to learn and see what is like to set one up. Iv'e over 3TB in my actual PC so i don't need to actually back up anything.

Like i said its just something to do, not just going out and jumping in the deep end buying a "cost effective NAS" when i don't have a clue what i'm doing.
    To me that seems a little stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Okay if you actually read the thread you would have seen that it is for an experiment i don't need another 500GB i just want to learn and see what is like to set one up. Iv'e over 3TB in my actual PC so i don't need to actually back up anything.

Like i said its just something to do, not just going out and jumping in the deep end buying a "cost effective NAS" when i don't have a clue what i'm doing.
    To me that seems a little stupid.

Hi,
    Thanks for update.
    Sorry, my fault,i failed in reading your requirements !

Lets close it in a friendly way ! :)

10-views-of-project-managem.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Iv'e over 3TB in my actual PC so i don't need to actually back up anything.
    just as a side note, that sounds like famous last words to me! ;)

ALL hard drives will fail eventually, sooner or later, and although most hard disks are fairly reliable, you quite often won't know when its going to fail until it's too late.

if you have anything at all on your PC of value you you (family photo's, copies of documents etc.), you want need to have at least 3 copies of it to do your best to ensure it's never lost. 2 on local storage and one remote/cloud based, such as google drive, dropbox, photobucket or whatever, depending on what it is you're backing up.

as for linux, it's got a steep learning curve if you're not already familiar with it, so if you were to go down that route you might want to pick something that will (mostly) work out of the box, such as linux mint, which is ubuntu based, but designed so that more functions work 'out of the box' without too much extra work and to be more familiar for windows users to pick up quickly.

if you don't want to have to spend any money, then freeNAS is another good option as well if you want to turn that computer into a NAS.

if the computer is a very old, low spec one, you may want to aim a little lower with NAS4free which is a fork of the old version of FreeNAS that will run on much older hardware as the newer version is a little power hungry if you start using the more advanced features it can offer.

There's actually a little article here that gives you an overview of the more popular software NAS choices if you were to go down that route instead of a home server: http://www.mondaiji.com/blog/other/it/10210-the-hunt-for-the-ultimate-free-open-source-nas-distro

vibe666 wrote: »
    just as a side note, that sounds like famous last words to me! ;)

ALL hard drives will fail eventually, sooner or later, and although most hard disks are fairly reliable, you quite often won't know when its going to fail until it's too late.

if you have anything at all on your PC of value you you (family photo's, copies of documents etc.), you want need to have at least 3 copies of it to do your best to ensure it's never lost. 2 on local storage and one remote/cloud based, such as google drive, dropbox, photobucket or whatever, depending on what it is you're backing up.

as for linux, it's got a steep learning curve if you're not already familiar with it, so if you were to go down that route you might want to pick something that will (mostly) work out of the box, such as linux mint, which is ubuntu based, but designed so that more functions work 'out of the box' without too much extra work and to be more familiar for windows users to pick up quickly.

if you don't want to have to spend any money, then freeNAS is another good option as well if you want to turn that computer into a NAS.

if the computer is a very old, low spec one, you may want to aim a little lower with NAS4free which is a fork of the old version of FreeNAS that will run on much older hardware as the newer version is a little power hungry if you start using the more advanced features it can offer.

There's actually a little article here that gives you an overview of the more popular software NAS choices if you were to go down that route instead of a home server: http://www.mondaiji.com/blog/other/it/10210-the-hunt-for-the-ultimate-free-open-source-nas-distro

Thanks very helpful :) i will have a proper look at everything later and get to the messing around part :)

Advertisement