Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times have you worn your wedding dress?

Options
  • 23-03-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭

A feature in today's Sindo Mag about designer Helen Cody's new wedding collection got me wondering how many brides rewear their dresses to events.

Cody reckons that many wedding dresses just sit in wardrobes so she wanted to design "beautiful pieces that you can wear again".

Have you reworn your dress?

** Sorry click photos in next post - I've rotated them**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

A feature in today's Sindo Mag about designer Helen Cody's new wedding collection got me wondering how many brides rewear their dresses to events.

Cody reckons that many wedding dresses just sit in wardrobes so she wanted to design "beautiful pieces that you can wear again".

Have you reworn your dress?

Better pics attached below

I would definitely rewear these dresses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Seriously? I honestly don't think more than a couple of percent of brides wear their dresses again. I think one of the mods got a colour dress and has worn it again, that's the only person I've heard on boards talking about rewearing the dress.
    I wore mine once.
    It would be difficult, even with the lovely styles you posted, to wear a wedding dress again as many wouldn't feel appropriate to wear their own to someone else's wedding and there are few other events one goes to where such a style would be suitable. Maybe a ball, I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Those dresses are gorgeous.

I went 1950's vintage style and have worn it to a few different events/Christmas parties.

Considering they are so expensive it is great to get wear out of them.

But if mine wasn't appropriate style to wear again I think I'd wear it around the house every now and again for the craic!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have worn mine a few times

i am current 8 months pregnant and am planning on wearing it the babies welcome party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Mine was quite 50s style too, though still very obviously a wedding dress. I've been thinking of getting it shortened and dyed so I can wear it again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Gatica wrote: »
    It would be difficult, even with the lovely styles you posted, to wear a wedding dress again as many wouldn't feel appropriate to wear their own to someone else's wedding and there are few other events one goes to where such a style would be suitable. Maybe a ball, I suppose.

This is the problem, right here. You could wear a colored shawl over the dress, I guess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Personally I think they are awful.
    Mine got worn once but hopefully I will get it made in to dresses for the girls when they are older.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My wife's dress was reworn by her sister in law for her wedding. Not sure what happened to it after that. Good idea is to rework it into christening gowns or communion dresses if you're that way inclined.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Aside from the fittings before the wedding (where they let me have a bit of fun taking pics and stuff) I've just worn mine on the day. I love it so much, but it's a very 'weddingy' wedding dress (aside from the colour) so there's realistically no other events where it would be suitable to wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

This thread is making me want to dig my dress out of the attic and wear it around the house!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Me too! Only I think the bust wouldn't be filled out quite as much, and the waistline would be filled out a little more! Having a baby has, eh, altered my body shape a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,797 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every time I've gotten married!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I haven't since the day.

I love the

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I love the idea in theory of wearing wedding dresses to balls / formal functions - but I haven't had any functions like that to go to since I was married.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

From the metro today!

She's 58??? Unless she got married later in life, the wedding day ended many years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I've been married 2 years now and I got pregnant just after getting married so couldn't wear the dress now I'm due to give birth to number 2 so still haven't been able to but I would given the chance it's knee length and has a lovely flow to it. It's easy to put any colour with it for any function. I just need a break from been a whale

If my baby is a girl, I am going to put her in dress and take photos of her lying on the floor.

Like wise if it is a boy, I am going to put him in my husband's wedding suit for photos.

I love my dress, so glad I didn't wear white

John Mason wrote: »

I love my dress, so glad I didn't wear white

What colour did you wear?

amdublin wrote: »
    What colour did you wear?

silver leopard print with big green flowers:)

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=40917239

newyearsfashion1.jpg

• Advertisement

John Mason wrote: »
    silver leopard print with big green flowers:)

OKAY JOHN MASON!!!!!! We need a photo of this!!!!!!!!!

Please! Chop your head off (if you want) from photo and PLEASE POST!!!!!

I AM INTRIGUED!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Mine isnt weddingy but it is fancy - so I could easily wear it again but I just havent been invited to a posh enough event! Its a floor length green evening gown.

Ive been playing with the idea of getting it altered (shortened) but I do love it as it is.

Mine isnt weddingy but it is fancy - so I could easily wear it again but I just havent been invited to a posh enough event! Its a floor length green evening gown.

Ive been playing with the idea of getting it altered (shortened) but I do love it as it is.

Fantastic!

Okay we need a photo of this too!!!!!!!

OKAY JOHN MASON!!!!!! We need a photo of this!!!!!!!!!

Please! Chop your head off (if you want) from photo and PLEASE POST!!!!!

I AM INTRIGUED!!!!!!!!

posted above, am on linux, photo editor is a mare

Oh super! Looking forward to seeing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Pic isn't showing up John Mason :)

I can't see it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Fantastic!

Okay we need a photo of this too!!!!!!!

This is it here, they were selling a shorter version too when I bought it so I know it works shorter.

m7SlD7aFMDI7LKnYj-QhWmg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

January wrote: »
    Pic isn't showing up John Mason :)
    I can't see it :(

I can see it! Gorgeous dresses ladies :)

• Advertisement

This is it here, they were selling a shorter version too when I bought it so I know it works shorter.

m7SlD7aFMDI7LKnYj-QhWmg.jpg

Wow, so elegant!

And glamorama!

Lovely!

Advertisement