Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really need help.......

Options
  • 23-03-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello all,

As the title suggests I need help on courses:

Currently I am working in IT Customer Support and have the below regarding education:
    Certificate in Mechanical Engineering
    Comptia A+
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Administrator
    Level 6 Diploma in Business

So I would like to get an IT Degree/Diploma behind me however there is nothing (in Galway) regarding part time IT courses......So does anyone out there have any advise/experience as to how I could move forward.

I would love to get into Cloud / Network Security...........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Obsolete01 wrote: »
    So I would like to get an IT Degree/Diploma behind me however there is nothing (in Galway) regarding part time IT courses......So does anyone out there have any advise/experience as to how I could move forward.

Why do you feel the need for a degree/diploma?
    Obsolete01 wrote: »
    I would love to get into Cloud / Network Security...........

Start with the CCNA, it'll give you a basic understanding of networking. After that you could learn VMware/Openstack/Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Obsolete01

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need for a degree/diploma?

Start with the CCNA, it'll give you a basic understanding of networking. After that you could learn VMware/Openstack/Linux.

I'll be honest the only reason I was going to do the degree in business was because I wanted to get something from college behind me. But it is soon boring and come June I should have the diploma in business.

I dunno I just have this feeling to really progress in the IT industry you need a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Obsolete01

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Howya,

You're probably right, not having a primary degree in IT will hold you back over your career. DCU do a number of distance education courses from undergraduate to postgraduate levels, fully distance. You will only set foot in the place for conferring. These courses are grand for general IT careers in support, networking, web etc but the content is very general and somewhat dated. You can do further industry certification such as ccna/ccnp Microsoft etc, to make up for this.

If you want to be a programmer you'd want to do a full time degree course.

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=IT&degree_description=Diploma+%2F+B.Sc.+in+Information+Technology

Best of luck!

Advertisement