Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices Quoted in IFJ

Options
  • 23-03-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

is it me or is the IFJ way off the mark when reporting cattle prices.

Im only talking about bullocks as thats all i look at,

but on average yesterday at the mart 350/360kg 1 yr olds went for 950/1050.

thats about 2.71 a kg or tops 2.91 a kg,

any bullock that went for these prices last year, would have made a profit of 100/150 come the back end.. just not worth it, betting spread the capital over more heads of cattle..

my average to date so far is 870 this year. 20 a head up on last year. but im not buying top quality animals as i dont see the point it throwing a lot of money at one bullock, . . .

its also hard to buy cattle to make a few €s when most buyers are clearly old school, and buying A, because its time to buy, B because grass is growing, or even C because everyone else is buying. . . .

throwing a bid and waving the hand to keep the bid with them, WTF like, the bullock is in the ring, still in nappies weighting 365kgs at 10 months old and went for 1090. .

didnt happen me, but ive seen first hand examples of top price paid doest mean top price on selling or even a top bullock.

i used to look at the prices in the IFJ, but it just starting to Pi;; me off.

this week it says on average a 350 Kg bullock for 780 ? where are the looking? or even a 450kg for 950?

top 1/3 of 350/400kg animals 2.58 a kg?

Im averaging 2.57 a kg right now, and Im no way or even close to top 1/3.

I wish for the day Marts would let public, DOB weights breed selling price etc. . so you could keep track yourself at home.. i know a few do this but without DOBs

anyone else have thoughts on those prices on IFJ

P Cash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

I dunno about livestock prices but with the spuds my grandad always said take €100 off whatever it says at least, and the price is still probably lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

P_Cash wrote: »
    is it me or is the IFJ way off the mark when reporting cattle prices.

Im only talking about bullocks as thats all i look at,

but on average yesterday at the mart 350/360kg 1 yr olds went for 950/1050.

thats about 2.71 a kg or tops 2.91 a kg,

any bullock that went for these prices last year, would have made a profit of 100/150 come the back end.. just not worth it, betting spread the capital over more heads of cattle..

my average to date so far is 870 this year. 20 a head up on last year. but im not buying top quality animals as i dont see the point it throwing a lot of money at one bullock, . . .

its also hard to buy cattle to make a few €s when most buyers are clearly old school, and buying A, because its time to buy, B because grass is growing, or even C because everyone else is buying. . . .

throwing a bid and waving the hand to keep the bid with them, WTF like, the bullock is in the ring, still in nappies weighting 365kgs at 10 months old and went for 1090. .

didnt happen me, but ive seen first hand examples of top price paid doest mean top price on selling or even a top bullock.

i used to look at the prices in the IFJ, but it just starting to Pi;; me off.

this week it says on average a 350 Kg bullock for 780 ? where are the looking? or even a 450kg for 950?

top 1/3 of 350/400kg animals 2.58 a kg?

Im averaging 2.57 a kg right now, and Im no way or even close to top 1/3.

I wish for the day Marts would let public, DOB weights breed selling price etc. . so you could keep track yourself at home.. i know a few do this but without DOBs

anyone else have thoughts on those prices on IFJ

P Cash

Jesus 870 is some price you are paying. They must be nice stock. How are ya paying 20 euro more than last year? I am hearing they are back €50 to €100 a head on last year.

I am looking to buy myself this week. I will be buying continentals between 250 - 300 weight. Hopefully for between 700 to 750 and hope to sell for a 1000 next November if I can and hopefully aim for €200 a head profit after vet and other bills.

Advertisement