Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet cow adoption ??

Options
  • 23-03-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a few acres and I'm in the process of applying for a herd number. I'm looking for a pet cow to keep the grass down. Is there an RSPCA for farm animals from which I could adopt an old cow thats not being looked after well ?? or just a cheap one to buy somewhere ?? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Your best bet might be to get involved in one of the rare breeds. Usually old time farming breeds now in danger of extinction. That would be more useful than keeping an old cow. You could also get involved in breeding.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭GreatOaktree

I do plan on getting two Irish moiled heffers but in the mean time I would like an animal to keep the grass down in the near future, we have already adopted two wee ponies but they wont be able to eat it all. Last year we had the land bailed, however I want to get the land certified organic which means I cant spread fertilizer making bailing it not worth while. I haven't the price to start my rare breed herd yet so an old cow on the cheap would suit best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

There are four goats for adoption in the 'other' category of the ISPCA site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How good is your fencing? Would it be good enough to keep in sheep?

Yea fencing isn't an issue but I have no experience with sheep or goats, but I'll have a look at the goats all the same. I have my heart set on a cow. I used to milk cows in a byer with my uncle so i have experience with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Well, just mentioned them because they would involve less outlay then rare breed cattle, or indeed even one cow. Do you intend to let this cow go in calf, and if so, are you looking for a suckler cow or a dairy cow. If Dairy, are you prepared to milk her if she goes in calf? A neighbours bull could visit despite your best intentions! Also with a few sheep, you will not have any TB testing to contend with, and therefore no need to build a sturdy pen and short crush. Some movable hurdles will do for the ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't know of any organisation that deals with rescue cattle. At the end of the day they do have some commercial value. Non fleshed JEx P grade culls are making €1.50 /kg for the worst types.
    Also you need to consider that a dry cow can get mastitis. Would you consider buying in a couple of dairy bullocks?
    Also if the grass is old lay there maybe a problem with red water. A few goats would be a better option for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

I've never heard of the ISPCA seizing cattle.

Even if they did, I'd imagine they'd sell the animals commercially.

Just out of interest, why wouldn't you adopt a horse. No herd number involved and the country is actually going through a bit of a crisis at the moment with abandoned celtic tiger horses and the usual suspects.

A number of charities involved and all of them struggling to cope with horse numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

The dspca usually have a few cattle roaming about the place in their campus in Rathfarnam , maybe give them a shout ?

They also have pigs, goats, chickens, horses, a few sheep and the usual cats, dogs, hamsters, rabbits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've never heard of the ISPCA seizing cattle.

Even if they did, I'd imagine they'd sell the animals commercially.

Just out of interest, why wouldn't you adopt a horse. No herd number involved and the country is actually going through a bit of a crisis at the moment with abandoned celtic tiger horses and the usual suspects.

A number of charities involved and all of them struggling to cope with horse numbers.
    You need a herd number to keep horses.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/registrationofhorsepremises/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Base price wrote: »

Shows what I know about horses but you get my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Base price wrote: »

They also need to be microchipped and have a passport

Though I've never seen/heard of this being enforced on horses/ponies that weren't competing in official shows/leaving the country

I did unofficially adopt 2 wee ponies and they have the run of all 4 and a half acres. I'll confine them to one field now when the growth starts. In a few weeks it will be too lush for two ponies so I'm looking for a cow. Red water wont be an issue here and I'm applying for the heard numbers anyway. I am aware they have a commercial value but it's not always about money. Thanks for the replies I'll try DSPCA tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

you could rear a calf for bothair. I was asked to rear one and shes arriving tomorrow, the only problem is they are nearly always black and whites so its going to look well out of place round here. All you have to do is rear the animal till she is put in calf and shes then sent off on a foreign holiday.

Could you elaborate on that there miname. Whats bothair ? and what do ya mean a foreign holiday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

bothair is a charity that sends animals out to impoverished people in africa. they can organise a calf for you to rear on or a reared calf either, the foreign hol should be fairly self explanatory at this stage.

ah yea I found the website there. That is amazing and fits my situation exactly. Thanks Miname.

Advertisement