Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car paint work damage by Child

Options
  • 23-03-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Yesterday I drove on one way, dual lane road on Dunnes Store Car Park in Cork and suddenly 11 year old child came out on his bicycle in the front of me going opposite direction of the one way road.

Thankfully I have noticed him and just about on time I have bounced left to avoid knocking him!
    Despite avoidance he still managed to scratch back panel of my car which was very deep into the metal of approx. 1 meter in length.

I have immediately manage to stop him, thankfully he was not injured and his other young friend was with him, so I asked where are the parents and they said they are at home - home was miles away in different part of Cork. 

Without any offence I noticed that child is a little but "rough" (please don't take this wrong way but this is the only way I can describe) so without any hesitation I called Guards.  They came quickly, took both statements of my passengers and young boy and decided to take him home to his parents.

He said that he will be in contact with me later, but he doesn't know what can be done as child was involved. Later that evening Guard called me and said that his both parents will be in contact with me same day - I didn't believe that they call me and they didn't.

I notified my Insurance Company - please note that my car is 2010 Audi A6 and from my amateur expertise repair won't be cheap - I am only getting this done in Audi Dealer.

Question here is what will happen if parents will try to avoid paying this? I guess they will not pay because either cost of repair of insurance excess will cost over 800EUR for sure.

I spoke with my brother who is a Lawyer in different country and he said that Insurance Company will cover repaid immediately and they they will prosecute / recover money from this boys parents.

Please advice here!

Thank you.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

sowajaoxf wrote: »
    Hi,

Yesterday I drove on one way, dual lane road on Dunnes Store Car Park in Cork and suddenly 11 year old child came out on his bicycle in the front of me going opposite direction of the one way road.

Thankfully I have noticed him and just about on time I have bounced left to avoid knocking him!
    Despite avoidance he still managed to scratch back panel of my car which was very deep into the metal of approx. 1 meter in length.

I have immediately manage to stop him, thankfully he was not injured and his other young friend was with him, so I asked where are the parents and they said they are at home - home was miles away in different part of Cork. 

Without any offence I noticed that child is a little but "rough" (please don't take this wrong way but this is the only way I can describe) so without any hesitation I called Guards.  They came quickly, took both statements of my passengers and young boy and decided to take him home to his parents.

He said that he will be in contact with me later, but he doesn't know what can be done as child was involved. Later that evening Guard called me and said that his both parents will be in contact with me same day - I didn't believe that they call me and they didn't.

I notified my Insurance Company - please note that my car is 2010 Audi A6 and from my amateur expertise repair won't be cheap - I am only getting this done in Audi Dealer.

Question here is what will happen if parents will try to avoid paying this? I guess they will not pay because either cost of repair of insurance excess will cost over 800EUR for sure.

I spoke with my brother who is a Lawyer in different country and he said that Insurance Company will cover repaid immediately and they they will prosecute / recover money from this boys parents.

Please advice here!

Thank you.

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]Hi [/font]sowajaoxf

If you want to PM me your details I can arrange for someone from our Claims department to contact you. If you are not insured with us you will need to contact your insurers and discuss your options with them.

Regards
    Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id be careful here. We had a case a few years back. My brother hit a dog. Farmer agreed to pay but wasnt coming up with the cash. Insurer said they would look after it, and seek to recover all costs from farmer.
    Car was fixed and insurer did not bother their ass in even contacting the farmer. I quess they thought it would cost more in legal fees to attempt to recover. The problem with that is that the claim was left against brother.
    Your case could be similar.
    In addition, if these parents are dodgy, they could concoct a masterpiece of lies stating you hit the boy on the bike and god knows what would come off that.
    I'd get a quote first. May not be as expensive as you think when no parts are needed.

Advertisement