Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect recommendation Cork/Waterford

Options
  • 23-03-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Has anyone got a recommendation for an architect based in either cork or Waterford? We are looking to build a passive house (hopefully, depending on how much it will cost!). So any recommendations around this would be very welcome. Going to try the simon open door day in May to start with but a lot if people seem to consult with several architects before deciding on which one to work with. Any recommendations would be welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Decaln Carroll in Waterford is very good. Practical, courteous, listens explains and provides good value for money. I engaged him to do a house project and would go back. Tel: 051 877282

http://carroll.ie

Good luck with the house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

For passive house design you are really looking for an engineer not an architect. If you hire an architect they will hire an engineer to work out the passive side of the design. Better to get an engineer design and then tweaking the cosmetics maybe with an architect on a consultant basis for a few hours.

Be careful when getting quotes, some will want to charge a % of the build costs. This is one of the most ridiculous ideas that is accepted in any market. If anybody expands a room which takes about 10 minutes they could be increasing the costs dramatically and thus there rate.

It made some sense when it was done on ink and paper but much easier and cheaper to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a 'passive house'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a 'passive house'?

Here ya go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

How cool is that? Very interesting link - thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

I would highly recommend Brian Malone from Cork. You get a builder and engineer all rolled into one. He is also a professional and a gentleman. He kept me completely up to date both in terms of the build and the budget. He is a perfectionist and his attention to detail was phenomenal.

I have no business allegiances whatsoever to him - I picked him as he was the only person who came back when I asked four builders to quote for a house renovation. Even before I had made any decision, he came out and carried out further indepth investigations that allowed me to make an informed decision on what precisely needed doing.
    http://www.brianmaloneconstruction.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bumble2

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll contact the engineers/builders you recommended next week. We're only at the initial stages, we've applied for a pre-planning meeting with the county council. Has anyone any experiences with MBC timber frame in cahir for timber frame houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bumble2

With the new building regs that came in this year, the price of a new build has gone up considerably. There's a lot more paperwork involved, to be signed off by the architect/builder/engineer at various stages. So no more direct labour projects anymore apparently!
    Did anyone who's built a house recently use a quantity surveyor on the project?
    We're also still getting quotes from different architects, has anyone used rojo studio architects or dhb architects in Waterford city? I think we may be better off with a young, keen architect to get a better deal! The quotes we've been getting so far seem quite high!
    Going with an A rated house rather than a passive now, as they're so expensive to build....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DR Milly

Thanks for the recommendations in this thread. Bumble2 best of luck with the build hope all is going well :)

Advertisement