Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S2 will it work in New York?

Options
  • 22-03-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

This used to be a definite no for phones as I know GSM is used here and not in US. Phone came from Vodafone Ireland and I will be on a short trip to NY soon.
    Have tried googling and am more confused.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

MAJJ wrote: »
    This used to be a definite no for phones as I know GSM is used here and not in US. Phone came from Vodafone Ireland and I will be on a short trip to NY soon.
    Have tried googling and am more confused.
    Thanks

99% sure it will, there's also a secret code (can't remember it) that takes you to the radio frequencies where you can select the frequency for the band signals in the US. What Android version you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

hallo dare wrote: »
    99% sure it will, there's also a secret code (can't remember it) that takes you to the radio frequencies where you can select the frequency for the band signals in the US. What Android version you running?

Thanks Hallo Dare! It's 4.1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

They do use GSM in America, bands 850 MHz and 1,900 MHz I think, so your phone just has to be capable of working on them bands.

Thanks Hallo Dare! It's 4.1.2

Yeah, im on that version too. I think the secret codes are locked down on this version on as there was something where someone would be able to send a text and brick your phone. Something like that.

I'd say you're safe enough though for it o work over there. Buy yourself a nice Nexus 5 while you're there. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

. Buy yourself a nice Nexus 5 while you're there. :-)
    You can get them here now too ;)

• Advertisement

You can get them here now too ;)

I know, but I'd say they're cheaper over there.

I know, but I'd say they're cheaper over there.

Ah, they are I think. 4G wwouldn't work here on a US model but most don't have 4G plans yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

They do use GSM in America, bands 850 MHz and 1,900 MHz I think, so your phone just has to be capable of working on them bands.

Hey Atomic Pineapple - thanks for the details and great name BTW!

This seems to indicate it will work, what do you reckon?
    http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

Thanks

Hey Atomic Pineapple - thanks for the details and great name BTW!

This seems to indicate it will work, what do you reckon?
    http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

Thanks

Yeah should work fine. It's Quadband, so it'll work almost anywhere worldwide ;)

Advertisement