Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland - Canada Plugs, Cables, Converters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Your laptop should be fine. The brick thing on the power cable of your laptop is a converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Does anyone know much about how this works?

I'm only started researching it. I assumed that I would simply need a plug converter. But, I seen lots of transformer kits available, which are supposed to convert different electricity supplies. I did a quick search:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/question430.htm

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/use-adapter-converter-foreign-travel-1523.html

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

The result seems to be that if you plug a 220 volt device into a 110 socket or vice versa then you could fry the device in seconds and possibly eletrocute yourself. If it's that dangerous, why are so many simply 3 to 2 plug converters available? It can't be that everyone who doesn't research this gets shocked ... :eek:

The only things I'm looking into myself are:

- Smartphone plug (this is a USB cable into a plug situation)
    - Laptop
    - PS3

Any thoughts? :)
    Laptop should be fine the power supply should be rated 110 to 220
    Same with the phone charger or tablet whatecer should just need a plug adaptor

now the ps3 on the otherhand and i havent got one to look is probably rated to 220 to 240 so nope.
    not really gonna bring one are ya ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

OK I've looked into it a bit more, all PS3s have universal adapters built inside so it will automatically adjust to the voltage. So, games consoles, laptops and probably smartphones are all good?

I haven't seen the wall adapters in Ireland for anything less than €10. I see some brand new on eBay shipping from the UK for about €5 all inclusive...

OK I've looked into it a bit more, all PS3s have universal adapters built inside so it will automatically adjust to the voltage. So, games consoles, laptops and probably smartphones are all good?

I haven't seen the wall adapters in Ireland for anything less than €10. I see some brand new on eBay shipping from the UK for about €5 all inclusive...

check that again not all ps3s do i just looked at a superslim its only rated for 220-240 power. yeah amazon too is worth a look

Yeah on the back of my PS3 it says 220-240v also, but I found replies on the PlayStation forums, they asked Sony and that was the reply. Plus, many did take them abroad, (mostly US to Europe and back) bought the simple plug adaptor and all was fine.

I'll check out Amazon for sure. I just seen Boots of all places have them for €6. I still think buying 3 from the UK would be cheaper by a few Euro amazingly.

Going, are you not bringing a games console? (if you have one, I think you do?)

• Advertisement

Yeah on the back of my PS3 it says 220-240v also, but I found replies on the PlayStation forums, they asked Sony and that was the reply. Plus, many did take them abroad, (mostly US to Europe and back) bought the simple plug adaptor and all was fine.

I'll check out Amazon for sure. I just seen Boots of all places have them for €6. I still think buying 3 from the UK would be cheaper by a few Euro amazingly.

Going, are you not bringing a games console? (if you have one, I think you do?)

i dont actually have one . it probably is fine it makes sense that it is 110 - 220 rated infairness. nah just the laptop tablet and phone etc for me .a console just a bitta weight i dont really wanna drag with me , if i was i think id just sell mine here and just the funds to buy over there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Argos do a pack of 3 wall adapters for €10, that's where I got mine before I went. I'd say Dealz would stock them as well.

Argos do a pack of 3 wall adapters for €10, that's where I got mine before I went. I'd say Dealz would stock them as well.

That is a good deal, I didn't see in the travel accessories section online though, they did have the €9.99 ones. Yeah just got 3 on eBay, €10.39 for the lot.

Got a great little piece of hand luggage for the aeroplane on eBay today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

I was thinking about this a week ago actually.

If you got a 2pin to 3pin plug and then plugged a 3 pin power strip into that you could power all your 3 pin devices much easier and would be much neater.

If it works think I will bring a couple over in the bag for beside the bed and living room.

Advertisement