Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA lab setup

Options
  • 22-03-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice on a home lab set up to do some CCNA exams.

What models would be best, most economical, what IOS to look out for etc

how many swtiches, routers, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

You probably don't realise there's an IT Certification forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Indeed I didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You want two layer 2 switches, two layer 3. So something like two 3560 and two 3750's would be ideal. You can scale that back though to 2950's and 3550's. GNS3 and a quad adapter is a far better alternative to buying routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I wouldn't bother buying hardware unless you're planning on carrying on to the CCNP. Everything you need for the CCNA can be done in GNS3 or Packet Tracer (unless there's some more advanced switching stuff after being added to the new version of the exam that I'm not aware of).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭tech

HI there

if your looking for CCNA hardware I have some kit

some is SPAN new unsead also

http://www.adverts.ie/routers-and-modems/cisco-ccna-lab-kit/4484556

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Thanks moc,

From what Ive read so far CNS3 will do for now, I have some old cisco kit lying about that i can hook up if I want to get the 'real feel' of it.

Thanks for that tech, if i do decided to go the h/w route I'll keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

GNS3 is good, but for CCNA packet tracer is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

heffsarmy wrote: »
    GNS3 is good, but for CCNA packet tracer is all you need.

Not sure about the last year but Packet tracer still doesn't even have all the commands or functionality for a full CCNA. Plus its not a bad idea to aim for other CCNA's or the CCNP and having the hardware helps with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Packet tracer is all you need for CCNA R&S, it was updated last year for CCNA security course. Having a home lab is the best way to go if you plan on ccnp or further.

https://www.netacad.com/documents/300010/11300388/Cisco_PacketTracer_AAG.pdf/39c04df5-0cf0-4267-81b8-9cd98c1f43f8

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Packet tracer is all you need. If you have time on your hands you could have a go at GNS, it's free and a nice extra resource to have. You can go buy a hardware lab but you do not need one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement