Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

security certified doors

Options
  • 22-03-2014 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi! We are moving in to our own place and was thinking of getting the security certified doors. They look like a regular door but is steel reinforced. The one I was looking at was Zentry. Any thoughts on this? Is it worth spending for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Hi! We are moving in to our own place and was thinking of getting the security certified doors. They look like a regular door but is steel reinforced. The one I was looking at was Zentry. Any thoughts on this? Is it worth spending for?

Have you thought about the security of the keys, are there windows on the building etc.
    Burglars don't only enter via doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

Its an apartment. So they will not be able to climb the windows.

Its an apartment. So they will not be able to climb the windows.

OK all good so, does it have a balcony that is close to adjoining ones?
    Are the barrels of the locks snap proof, are they flush fitted and do they have the 'The UK Kite Mark', it's a standard for locks.

Basically the door sounds perfect so the only weakness may be the lock barrels.

There are no balconies beside me. Basically the guy from Zentry said that the door sits on a metal plate while most doors would have the hinges on the side which makes it easy to break or cut the chain. It will be costing somewhere around 2k for the door and there will be 2 locks in the door: http://www.securitycertifieddoors.ie/zentry-bronze-class1.php

I just want to know if its worth spending on the door or do I use the door I have now which is just a basic door and have the locks changed?

€ 2 k for a glorified lock, wow. Ok if it was me, I would upgrade my existing locks and would consider another form of security other than physical such as an alarm system as well. Probably a lot less expensive as well.

• Advertisement

The difference is that the door is reinforced with steel inside but the outside looks like a regular timber door. That's why is 2k

The difference is that the door is reinforced with steel inside but the outside looks like a regular timber door. That's why is 2k

I know i looked at your attachment, I am all for physical security but the phrase all eggs in one basket comes to mind.

I mean from a cost point of view an upgrade of your existing locks and a basic alarm system would do the job nicely.
    I would not like to be waiting on the inside of that door waiting for the Fire Service to get through it, if God forbid the worst thing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

kub wrote: »
    I would not like to be waiting on the inside of that door waiting for the Fire Service to get through it, if God forbid the worst thing happened.
    That's what I was thinking.
    I always think of a fire when I see those homes with bars on their windows.

PeteK* wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking.
    I always think of a fire when I see those homes with bars on their windows.

No reflection to the OP but I would imagine the lads in Love/Hate must love these sort of doors, great at slowing down The Gardai.

Advertisement