Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought stolen phone..

Options
  • 21-03-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,

Ok, so a few weeks ago I bought a phone from a guy selling online.

We met, I paid the cash and everything was fine until a few days ago when I couldn't connect to any network. I tried everything and still couldn't connect.

Now I find from a network that the phone was reported stolen and the IMEI has been blocked.

Obviously I'm pissed. I paid 300E.

The guy is still trading online. I have his number but nothing more.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It might not be actually stolen ,

Chances are he got the phone on bill pay and put it up for sale and then reported it stolen and got phone replaced by insurance,

You won't have much comeback after paying cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hapjeong

Yeah, I think you are probably right.

I don't feel like giving up though.. haha

It's in my mind to offer to buy another one of his phones, meet up with one of my mates and ask for my money back.

I'm aware that caveat emptor applies but what he did was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

hapjeong wrote: »

It's in my mind to offer to buy another one of his phones, meet up with one of my mates and ask for my money back.

it is possible to flash a new IMEI NUMBER onto the phone but it may be illegal so i shall say no more

http://google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can/is the phone be rooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Lads, I'm the first to criticise the trigger-happy closing nature of the mods on Boards, but this is tricky territory. I would figure out if the guy definitely scammed you, or if it was stolen.

If he's being a jerk and scammed you, then you could do the IMEI changing, but if it was robbed, so the nice thing and tell the police.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's either robbed or insurance fraud, either way go to the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hapjeong

Thanks for the replies lads.

The phone was fresh out of the box when I bought it. I believe it is some sort of insurance fraud.

My 3 options are:
    1. flash a new IMEI
    2. arrange to meet him again pretending to want to buy another phone
    3. go to the Gardai.

I would go to the garda only I have only his phone number and web marketplace ID. I'm not sure what good this would do me.

Obviously if we meet again, it might be a bit dodgy, but I'm down 300 E and can meet him in a public place.

The IMEI has been reported as stolen to the original network so I'm fairly certain it's an insurance scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Thanks for the replies lads.

The phone was fresh out of the box when I bought it. I believe it is some sort of insurance fraud.

My 3 options are:
    1. flash a new IMEI
    2. arrange to meet him again pretending to want to buy another phone
    3. go to the Gardai.

I would go to the garda only I have only his phone number and web marketplace ID. I'm not sure what good this would do me.

Obviously if we meet again, it might be a bit dodgy, but I'm down 300 E and can meet him in a public place.

The IMEI has been reported as stolen to the original network so I'm fairly certain it's an insurance scam.

I would report it to the Garda Fraud Unit

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=29

giving them as much info as you have and they can then investigate, once you have a genuine legitmate belief that the phone was not stolen (and it appears you have) then you should be ok reporting it. You may not get your money back, but at least it may stop others falling into the same trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Be careful, he or she may be suspicious should the phone already be blocked. Also, consider the Insurance Federation of Ireland's hotline, as it is especially for this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

You should be able to arrange something with the Gardai. you could arrange to buy something else off him, when you meet have gardai there to deal with him. its not entrapment as he is only being dealt with for a crime he has already committed. very simple.

also you have to take into account that if you are ever stopped by gardai with this phone on you, you can be charged for handling/possession of stolen property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement