Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of Common Petitions/Chief Secretary's Office Papers

Options
  • 21-03-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Has anyone every accessed a 19thC petition (like the 1848/49 William Smith-O'Brien one) to the House of Commons? For petitions from Ireland, would they have gone to the Chief Secretary's Office (CSO)? Grenham mentions in TYIA that there were huge numbers of them that went to the CSO (1818-1822 CSO papers are indexed, more years to come).

I ask as I am currently going through the digital archive of The Times and there is mention in an 1866 edition of a petition to the House of Commons from a parish when my ancestors are from. It was one of 12 parishes where people signed it.

More broadly, the article lists large numbers of petitions from many parishes all over Ireland. Could be a great untapped resource.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only the William Smith O'Brien one you mentioned, which is widely used and gave me a earlier first date in a town for one branch of the family. I suspect they'd be very useful for looking for more obscure surnames and particularly those in towns and otherwise in trades/business rather than farmers or labourers who have been less likely to have signed.

Advertisement