Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting a horse from UK to Ireland?

Options
  • 21-03-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anyone know what requirements are needed to bring a horse into Ireland from England? The horses have passports, do they need to chipped? Vaccinations? Health certificates? Thanks:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Label him as beef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Ring Dept of Agriculture and they will give you exact info..

Failing that Pm me I went to college with a girl who started up her own horse transport company based in UK but she shops them all over.. I can forward you her contact details if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Don't think you need much once you have passport but not sure about this.
    There are hundreds of empty horse box's coming over here empty to collect horses every week to bring back to the Uk so you could be lucky with price. PM me if you are bringing something in and I will ask a few dealers if they have empty boxes coming over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

get on to kerrygold, they had a similar problem a few yearss back, i dont know if they ever got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Miname wrote: »
    get on to kerrygold, they had a similar problem a few yearss back, i dont know if they ever got it sorted.

Think that one was going to France though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Just wondering, not making a criticism but is there something special about this horse/these horses to be importing them? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zydecoannie

Thanks, that would be great, I emailed the department but they havn't replied and trying to find anything out on the internet is a nightmare (excuse the pun!) Annie

Thanks, we were going to take our own trailer but if we could get them here cheap enough that would be ideal :-)

Yes, they are 2 Dales ponies, not something you would see everyday :-) they are on the endangered list :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Yes, they are 2 Dales ponies, not something you would see everyday :-) they are on the endangered list :-(

Nice one, hope you get them over safe and sound :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Here is a link of the approved transport companies that move bloodstock to and from the UK etc.
    Most of them will have lorries travelling back from the UK.
    In Ireland all equines must have a passport and in the last couple of years the also need a microchip. For cross border movement as far as I know they have to be microchipped and have all necessary vaccinations up to date.
    The transport companies will be able to advise you on the necessary Dept of Agri health requirements.
    http://www.itm.ie/en/Buying/Horse_transport_and_insurance/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Also I know cattle have to come in through Belfast, I don't know if its the same for all livestock.

Advertisement