Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlete to Cyclist

Options
  • 20-03-2014 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Due to constant injuries training for triathlons i'm thinking of changing to A4 cycling instead, cycling is my strongest leg so I reckon I should be ok..Just wondering is there any a4 races coming up soon around Limerick and where can I find a list of races... any advice would be great for starting out..
    Trig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Des hanlon in carlow is the weekend. 1 day liences should be available at that. But the week after you will need a full competion liecne to take part in an open race.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Some very serious advice here. If you are used to cycle racing in triathlons, Open racing is very different. I would definitely recommend starting off in a club league before progressing to open races once you have gained confidence in racing in groups. I have heard many "stories" of strong triathletes being let down by their bike handling skills particularly when starting out in open racing - they have the fitness to stick with the group but the changes in pace can catch inexperienced racers out and increase the risk of crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Trig1 wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any a4 races coming up soon around Limerick and where can I find a list of races...
    Trig
    Hmmm... maybe the Cycling Ireland Calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Hi All
    Due to constant injuries training for triathlons i'm thinking of changing to A4 cycling instead, cycling is my strongest leg so I reckon I should be ok..Just wondering is there any a4 races coming up soon around Limerick and where can I find a list of races... any advice would be great for starting out..
    Trig

Drop down to Birdhill for the Limerick CC league race. Every Tuesday at 7pm. Start point is the Roadstone plant in Gooig, out to the Fivealley roundabout and back to Birdhill (finish line just before r'about).
    We have 3 groups, beginners/A4's off first, then the inbetweeners and then the fast guys. It's only a couple of miles from you so the ride down will be the perfect warm-up. If you find the first group too easy you can progress to the second. Also it's the perfect place to hone your bike handling skills for group racing as Beasty mentioned above. First race is on 8th April and all you need is a bike in good, safe working order, a helmet, your CI licence and a fiver!!
    You may as well become a member of the club if you plan on racing. You will get invaluable advice from the experienced guys and they will have you doing open races in no time.
    PM me for info on joining LCC if you want.
    Slo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Beasty wrote: »
    Some very serious advice here. If you are used to cycle racing in triathlons, Open racing is very different. I would definitely recommend starting off in a club league before progressing to open races once you have gained confidence in racing in groups. I have heard many "stories" of strong triathletes being let down by their bike handling skills particularly when starting out in open racing - they have the fitness to stick with the group but the changes in pace can catch inexperienced racers out and increase the risk of crashes.

That is solid advice alright. Good luck with the move into cycling OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Also it's the perfect place to hone your bike handling skills for group racing

you have obviously never raced that league :p

when are you coming to A3? I miss you (although that one time I didnt miss you.....)

to the OP, i would also echo what the guys have said. Bike handling is very important. As Slo has said, maybe join a club and get out on their training spins?

lennymc wrote: »
    you have obviously never raced that league :p

when are you coming to A3? I miss you (although that one time I didnt miss you.....)

to the OP, i would also echo what the guys have said. Bike handling is very important. As Slo has said, maybe join a club and get out on their training spins?

I'm not totally sure why, but I'm going back to the place where you broke my face this Saturday! Just a point short now but you know what it's like trying to get up in these races. And FFS my bike handling is really excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Slo Rida

Sorry for thread hijack.
    The Limerick league - can anyone show up.
    I am not in a Limk club but have a racing license. Sometimes I would be knocking around Limerick on a Tues. Would be nice to know that I could show up and ride.

Nice out and back circuit. Big wide lumpy road with great line of site (horrible for breakaways tho).

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Slo Rida

Sorry for thread hijack.
    I am not in a Limk club but have a racing license. Sometimes I would be knocking around Limerick on a Tues. Would be nice to know that I could show up and ride.

Nice out and back circuit. Big wide lumpy road with great line of site (horrible for breakaways tho).

Just show up and ride so!!!
    Just a CI licence, helmet and bike are needed. Nenagh CC are going to run one in the same area on Thursdays too if you're about. Both clubs will be supporting both races and they will apply the same rules and route as ourselves.

@Slo Rida

It's not an exciting parcours but it's super safe and (depending on the group) very fast so great race training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

@slo - maybe I'll bump into you at the race tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

@Slo Rida

Sorry for thread hijack.

I'll be there too, hoping to hang onto the first group :D With the Nenagh league on Thursdays, how can we not improve?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

is it a standard ci license or a racing license that is needed for tuesday and thursday sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

mossym wrote: »
    is it a standard ci license or a racing license that is needed for tuesday and thursday sessions?

Also wondering the same. What license do I need. Or would a triathlon Ireland license suffice.... 1 more question and please don't jump down my throat as I genuinely don't know...Are tt bikes allowed? Are road bikes with Tt bars attached allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Also wondering the same. What license do I need. Or would a triathlon Ireland license suffice.... 1 more question and please don't jump down my throat as I genuinely don't know...Are tt bikes allowed? Are road bikes with Tt bars attached allowed?

You need a CI license.
    TT Bikes not allowed.
    No Road Bikes with Clip on aero bars allowed.

Middle of the pack triathlete is about a decent A4 level, should be able to compete for wins.

Dont ride the back of the group the constant accelerations there are worse than the front. Ride assertively near the front where you can get a good view of the road ahead, dont bother go with any early attacks always people jumping off in to no mans land. If you go for a spint at the end commit, dont sit up before the line as you'll be in the way of others with their head down hammering it and may get creamed. GLHF!

Briando wrote: »

Dont ride the back of the group the constant accelerations there are worse than the front. Ride assertively near the front where you can get a good view of the road ahead, dont bother go with any early attacks always people jumping off in to no mans land. If you go for a spint at the end commit, dont sit up before the line as you'll be in the way of others with their head down hammering it and may get creamed. GLHF!

There usually isn't any attacking in the first 2 thirds of the race so not sure what you're referring to. It's ok in the latter stages but for the first while it's fast and steady. Also, it's a constant up and over system with a very tidy 2-a-breast group so there's no "sitting" anywhere, you just keep rolling. If you're not going to roll up you need to stay well out of the way at the back and not interfere with people who are rolling - though you should just roll up as it's harder at the back.
    Look, everybody is welcome (once you meet the criteria I stated above), there are 3 groups meaning a place for all abilities. I'm not going to come on here and say oh it's easy just sit in and you'll get brilliant. It's race training, it's going to hurt until you get up to speed and then all of a sudden you'll be cruising and deciding to go up to the next group. Don't bring any tactics or plans. You show up, you roll through with everyone else, you ride steady and safe and if you have the legs you go for the gallop at the end (if you're tired you don't contest the sprint as it's unsafe). It's still the most fun any of my racing friends have on the bike. There's no pressure, the bunches are safe, it's not too costly, the atmosphere is very friendly if you do get dropped you're never far from home, if you have a mechanical, you'l be looked after etc.

mossym wrote: »

I presume by standard you mean Limited Competition Licence and yes, that's all you need. You will sign on on the night, €5 race fee...simples!!! It's great fun!

If there was a "Jump-down-your-throat-smiley" I'd insert it here :D:D:D
    No TT bikes or clip-on bars. I don't think there is a rule against skin suits but prepare for an earful of slagging from myself if you do wear one :p Of course when you ride away from me in your small ring I will promptly shut up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hi Slo_rida- thanks for the feedback... would I be able to turn up on 1 of the nights and try it out for a fiver before I commit to spending 125 euro on a license?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    I don't think there is a rule against skin suits

There is a rule that you must wear a jersey with sleeves. If a skinsuit has sleeves it may pass but it'll have to have short legs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Hi Slo_rida- thanks for the feedback... would I be able to turn up on 1 of the nights and try it out for a fiver before I commit to spending 125 euro on a license?

I doubt they will allow you ride without a license. I know our club wouldn't. You don't need to spend €125 euros. You could get a club competition for €65 and then in the future if you want to do open races you could upgrade your license and pay the difference.

You only need the "Limited Competition" licence - €60 if you're a club member, €90 otherwise. If you do decide you want to do open races later you can upgrade by only paying the difference about €65.
    Slo

cdaly_ wrote: »
    There is a rule that you must wear a jersey with sleeves..

Hardly applies to club leagues I'd say

Advertisement