Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone line over cat 5

Options
  • 20-03-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,
    I have a new (ish) house with cat 5 cable wired from the main connection box outside to an office in the house.
    There I have cat 5 running to every room in the house.

This is what I want to do -
    1. Use the cat 5 running to the normal rj11 face plates in each room for phone.
    2. Use the free wires on the cat 5 for internet (I will probably use wifi mostly but for rooms where the signal is low I would like to have a wired connection)

Ok, so when Eircom come to install the phone line I assume they will just connect at the box outside and put a normal faceplate in the office where all my other wires are ?.

What will I need in the office to distribute the phone and internet ?.
    I have wired my 2 sky boxes with a pretty simple hub, 2 imputs in to a distribution amp and all the room cables connected to the outputs in the hub. I assume the phone and internet would run in a similar manner but what to use.

What I will want is - (assuming I can run phone and internet together)
    A cat 5 hub of some sort,
    A connection from the main phone in to the hub,
    8 ports out to rooms,
    a port for a wireless router,

So the question is -
    Can I have a single cat 5 running to each room to a cat5 or RJ11 faceplate that will run phone and internet, e.g plug a phone in, it will run that or plug a cat 5 patch lead in and it will run internet on a pc or laptop.

Sorry for the long post but the concept sounds simple but I'm sure its not !!,
    Any help appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

its as easy to run 2 CAT 5s as it is one. why not just use an RJ11 and RJ45 Face plate at each location.
    ux_a12102600ux0160_ux_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You can plug a RJ11 plug into a RJ45 socket so no need to have different sockets on the walls for phone/network.

With a standard phone service, you can't run it on the same cable as a cable connected up to a network device like a switch/hub/router.
    Now you could it you really wanted throw a lot of time/effort/money/equipment to run a local VoIP setup or hacking the cabling to the wall plates, not using all 4 pairs to achieve a 1000Mbps network connection and using the unused pairs for a separate phone RJ11 jack.

(As ted1 said) Best to just run two CAT5e/CAT6 to each data/phone point you want around your house, cable them back to a central patch panel and patch them as needed either to your phone service or network device like a switch/hub/router.

Hopefully that reply makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jmgall

Thanks Lads,
    I only have 1 cat 5 running to each socket. Is there any way of using 1 cat 5 to do phone and internet ?

Ted1, haven't see those sockets before. Are the worked on 1 or 2 cat 5 cables ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ideally you would use 2.

but it might be possible to use 1. as not all the cores as used for Ethernet. depending on the distance you may experience noise from the 2 systems.

240101_1.jpg

using 1 would be a work around and not ideal and not something that i would do myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

jmgall wrote: »
    Thanks Lads,
    I only have 1 cat 5 running to each socket. Is there any way of using 1 cat 5 to do phone and internet ?

Ted1, haven't see those sockets before. Are the worked on 1 or 2 cat 5 cables ?

They use 2 cables.

Although 10/100 Ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 strands it would not be wise to send analog phone up the same cable as it would cause crosstalk. Most modern networking gear use 100/1000 Gigabit which uses all 8 strands.

Why not consider a broadband only provider and then use SIP for your phone service, this runs over Ethernet. Check out goldfish.ie and blueface.ie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement