Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert subjects, help!!

Options
  • 20-03-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

So I'm deciding on my leaving cert subjects. I want to study geography so much but I didn't study it for junior cert. Should I take the chance? Will it be a continuation of the junior cert? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Neird wrote: »
    So I'm deciding on my leaving cert subjects. I want to study geography so much but I didn't study it for junior cert. Should I take the chance? Will it be a continuation of the junior cert? Thanks

I thought everyone had to do geography for the junior cert. I did it last year and I'm pretty sure it was the case.

Anyway it's basically just a more in detail study of the same topics as in the junior cert but I wouldn't think you'd have to have done it for the junior cert. There's also a project worth 20%.

To tell you a bit about the subject it is mostly essays about 1.5 A4 pages long on a topic eg. Sedimentary rocks or economic development.There is 6(a short A part and 2 long Qs to each question) of these to be done in the exam. There is also a section at the start with just short questions in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Neird

Blue giant wrote: »
    I thought everyone had to do geography for the junior cert. I did it last year and I'm pretty sure it was the case.

Anyway it's basically just a more in detail study of the same topics as in the junior cert but I wouldn't think you'd have to have done it for the junior cert. There's also a project worth 20%.

To tell you a bit about the subject it is mostly essays about 1.5 A4 pages long on a topic eg. Sedimentary rocks or economic development.There is 6(a short A part and 2 long Qs to each question) of these to be done in the exam. There is also a section at the start with just short questions in it.

In my school ,it's not compulsory. You had to choose history or geography or both. It was stupid of me not to pick it, I really wanted business. would you recommend choosing it?

In my school ,it's not compulsory. You had to choose history or geography or both. It was stupid of me not to pick it, I really wanted business. would you recommend choosing it?

It's really up to the person in question. It's not all that hard and if you put in the work you should get a good grade. Some people in my year love it others hate it. If you want to study it then I'd say do it if not then don't. An interest in a subject can bring you s long way.

:P
    It's really up to the person in question. It's not all that hard and if you put in the work you should get a good grade. Some people in my year love it others hate it. If you want to study it then I'd say do it if not then don't. An interest in a subject can bring you s long way.

What did you pick for leaving cert? Any recommendations??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I picked Geography during a repeat year and got an A1 in it in Higher level. There is no thinking involved and its just rote learning

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    I picked Geography during a repeat year and got an A1 in it in Higher level. There is no thinking involved and its just rote learning

We have to pick now even though I'm doing TY. I know we study history and geography but will it be enough to facilitate geography at leaving cert??

:P

What did you pick for leaving cert? Any recommendations??

I picked French accounting chemistry and geography as well as the 3 core subjects. Again I find accounting and chemistry easy and enjoy them but know other people in the class who have a strong hate for the subject. What subjects did you find easy/enjoy for the junior cert. These are the subjects I would advise you th choose. I'm sure you could change a subject next year if you find out its not for you as I did.

I picked French accounting chemistry and geography as well as the 3 core subjects. Again I find accounting and chemistry easy and enjoy them but know other people in the class who have a strong hate for the subject. What subjects did you find easy/enjoy for the junior cert. These are the subjects I would advise you th choose. I'm sure you could change a subject next year if you find out its not for you as I did.

We'll I studied spanish. History was my best by far and science. But I have a nagging feeling in my head about geography. Really regret choosing art! I did ok but the pressure and everything was too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

hfallada wrote: »

I can't say it's all rote learning to be honest. As with any subject, understanding things makes it easier to learn it. If you managed to learn off all those essays by rote then well done. I need to form some sort of understanding of something before I learn it.

Anyway the course is accessible to someone who never did geography before in my opinion. The one worry I would have is about map and photo skills as some teachers never do any work on these topics as they assume you know it from JC.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I can't say it's all rote learning to be honest. As with any subject, understanding things makes it easier to learn it. If you managed to learn off all those essays by rote then well done. I need to form some sort of understanding of something before I learn it.

Anyway the course is accessible to someone who never did geography before in my opinion. The one worry I would have is about map and photo skills as some teachers never do any work on these topics as they assume you know it from JC.

We'll I actually know the map and photo skills because we did them in first year when we were testing out the subjects

• Advertisement

We'll I studied spanish. History was my best by far and science. But I have a nagging feeling in my head about geography. Really regret choosing art! I did ok but the pressure and everything was too much.

Well if you're two best subjects at junior cert were history and science would you consider maybe doing 2 science subjects. Which area of science did you enjoy/find the easiest last year? From what I hear about biology it is mostly rote learning and not entirely hard to get good results in. I'm not too sure about physics as there is no physics class in my school. While I don't find chemistry too hard some of the stuff can be hard to get your head around at first and if you don't get something it can be quite difficult as a lot of areas can be linked. With history like you it was probably my favourite subject in the junior cert but I just didn't find the idea of writing 4 page essays every weekend very appealing. Also while the course at junior cert is very easy the course for leaving cert is very long and done in much greater detail. Also the essay titles are much more precise than say the people in history section for the junior cert. For example while I was in the class at the start of this year before changing we were doing an essay on Lenin's rise to power. This essay could not include anything on Lenin once he was in power but just his initial rise and overthrowing of the Tsar. While it can be very interesting it can be quite hard to do well in it and you would have ti be a very good essay writer to get an A in it.

Well if you're two best subjects at junior cert were history and science would you consider maybe doing 2 science subjects. Which area of science did you enjoy/find the easiest last year? From what I hear about biology it is mostly rote learning and not entirely hard to get good results in. I'm not too sure about physics as there is no physics class in my school. While I don't find chemistry too hard some of the stuff can be hard to get your head around at first and if you don't get something it can be quite difficult as a lot of areas can be linked. With history like you it was probably my favourite subject in the junior cert but I just didn't find the idea of writing 4 page essays every weekend very appealing. Also while the course at junior cert is very easy the course for leaving cert is very long and done in much greater detail. Also the essay titles are much more precise than say the people in history section for the junior cert. For example while I was in the class at the start of this year before changing we were doing an essay on Lenin's rise to power. This essay could not include anything on Lenin once he was in power but just his initial rise and overthrowing of the Tsar. While it can be very interesting it can be quite hard to do well in it and you would have ti be a very good essay writer to get an A in it.

I'm not really worried bout history. It's my passion

Thanks, my preference is in and hopefully I get the subjects I want

Thanks, my preference is in and hopefully I get the subjects I want

As a matter of interest what did you pick if you don't mind me asking

As a matter of interest what did you pick if you don't mind me asking

Spanish, history, biology, chemistry and geography ( outside of school)

Advertisement