Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a router

Options
  • 20-03-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Currently having severe trouble with my dlink 657. It freezes up every day or two and drops DNS etc. which prevents the internet from working (I'm UPC and have my modem in bridge mode).

As such I'm looking for recommendations on a top notch router for reasonable money (I'd be willing to stretch to an AirPort Extreme if feedback suggested it was a good idea!).
    I've a couple of access points around the house so the router itself doesn't need any wifi at all although most do.

Right now I've port forwarding for remote video streaming and a couple of other things such as the admin interface of my NAS.
    Just want a router that can handle that.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use a WNDR3800 bridged over from a UPC EPC3925. Solid unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You spend the money, you get better performance to a point.

The Asus RT-N66U is a solid router. You can even attach a second modem or usb 3g dongle to it for a secondary backup connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

top notch router for reasonable money

If you really want to stand by that and don't mind the learning curve, I wholeheartedly vouch for Mikrotik RouterBoards

If you don't need wireless then I recommend the RB750GL.

I have the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and it is total overkill and includes wireless.

The RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN probably has a 20-30% performance increase, but like I said, overkill, this thing can run a 50-100 person office.

Boards even has a great configuration thread about them.

There is a pretty steep learning curve, even if you have a CCNP, there is a learning curve, they need about a weekend to configure to about 80% functionality and then a few weeks/months to figure out small annoyances, but it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

If you really want to stand by that and don't mind the learning curve, I wholeheartedly vouch for Mikrotik RouterBoards

If you don't need wireless then I recommend the RB750GL.

I have the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and it is total overkill and includes wireless.

The RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN probably has a 20-30% performance increase, but like I said, overkill, this thing can run a 50-100 person office.

Boards even has a great configuration thread about them.

There is a pretty steep learning curve, even if you have a CCNP, there is a learning curve, they need about a weekend to configure to about 80% functionality and then a few weeks/months to figure out small annoyances, but it's worth it.

Pffft, to your RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN check out the new one with 24Gigabit ports, SFP (fibre) and Micro Usb port and 802.11n AP and it's only 123 quid
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88854909&postcount=190

+1 on Mikrotik, serious learning curve but massive power and configurability. ISPs use them, they are on a par with enterpise Ciscos costing a few grand. They come with a basic default config to get you going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

You spend the money, you get better performance to a point.

The Asus RT-N66U is a solid router. You can even attach a second modem or usb 3g dongle to it for a secondary backup connection.

This and the Linksys EA5900 have caught my eye. I just want a router than doesn't have to be rebooted regularly because it's gotten bogged down mysteriously. I've a bit of port forwarding etc. for streaming videos on the go but the d link just doesn't seem up to the task! Pure routing performance and reliability is what I'm after (something a bit easier to set up than some of the suggestions would be a help too!)

• Advertisement

Linksys is now owned by Belkin, their track record is terrible, unless you can flash a better firmware like DD-WRT on it I'd avoid it.

Cisco ruined Linksys, after they bought them they started cheaping out in the components, reducing the ram etc. Then they sold the entire division to Belkin.

Linksys is now owned by Belkin, their track record is terrible, unless you can flash a better firmware like DD-WRT on it I'd avoid it.

Cisco ruined Linksys, after they bought them they started cheaping out in the components, reducing the ram etc. Then they sold the entire division to Belkin.

Thanks for the background! What about Asus unit? Both that and the Linksys are getting well reviewed and have the same internal chip / processor apparently (obviously firmware and software need to use it properly!)

Nelbert wrote: »
    Thanks for the background! What about Asus unit? Both that and the Linksys are getting well reviewed and have the same internal chip / processor apparently (obviously firmware and software need to use it properly!)

Decent router but completely overpriced, about twice the price they should be. If you're planning on spending that much you should at least expect 802.11ac

http://www.zdnet.com/buffalo-tech-new-802-11ac-router-with-open-source-firmware-7000027268/
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Buffalo+WZR-1750DHPD&_sop=15

I'm not tied to any particular brand or price bracket. I just want something that can handle a bit of streaming video remotely while not disrupting the boss at home's internet access! More than enough bandwidth, router just not up to it!

Decent router but completely overpriced, about twice the price they should be. If you're planning on spending that much you should at least expect 802.11ac

http://www.zdnet.com/buffalo-tech-new-802-11ac-router-with-open-source-firmware-7000027268/
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Buffalo+WZR-1750DHPD&_sop=15

They were out just before the AC standard was properly released and manufactures were doing their own similar standards. They will sync at around 900Mbps with an AC adapter but they can't class it as AC. You can pick them up for around 120 quid, which on the scheme of things is quite decent.

I like the Mikrotik stuff a lot, but its too complicated. That Asus box can do dual Wan, guest networks, QOS, USB sharing and cloud storage in seconds because that's all its going to do. Its a very similar situation to somebody asking what Windows to get and having Linux pushed at them.

• Advertisement

I'm not tied to any particular brand or price bracket. I just want something that can handle a bit of streaming video remotely while not disrupting the boss at home's internet access! More than enough bandwidth, router just not up to it!

I use the Asus box at home. I've had 4 video streams running at once across multiple walls without issue. Its a really good device, rock solid with really good wireless performance. It replaced a enterprise Cisco router and access point that I was using beforehand.

I use the Asus box at home. I've had 4 video streams running at once across multiple walls without issue. Its a really good device, rock solid with really good wireless performance. It replaced a enterprise Cisco router and access point that I was using beforehand.

It's not wireless performance I'm looking for its pure routing and the dlink is failing miserably!

It's not wireless performance I'm looking for its pure routing and the dlink is failing miserably!

Missed that bit. Your not going to find a "router" without wireless that could be described as easy. The Mikrotik boards are meant to be around normal difficulty to set-up but they are meant to be rock solid. I think Ubiquiti's stuff is too complicated.

The Asus device is a solid router. Most 100+ devices are but they will include features you don't seem to need.

Missed that bit. Your not going to find a "router" without wireless that could be described as easy. The Mikrotik boards are meant to be around normal difficulty to set-up but they are meant to be rock solid. I think Ubiquiti's stuff is too complicated.

The Asus device is a solid router. Most 100+ devices are but they will include features you don't seem to need.

Ah I know that. I've actually remoted on and turned the wireless off on the d link in some false hope that it will help!

Think I'll go with the Asus. Wireless is the bonus though as it might cover some weak areas a bit better.

If you don't need wireless an RB750 for 25 quid (RB750GL for 33 if you need gigabit) would do all you need. It'll come with a default config and you can ask in the Mikrotik thread for the code for PPPoE or any portforwards.

http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750level-32mb-5xlan-p-560.html
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750gllevel-64mb-gbit-p-1130.html

If you don't need wireless an RB750 for 25 quid (RB750GL for 33 if you need gigabit) would do all you need. It'll come with a default config and you can ask in the Mikrotik thread for the code for PPPoE or any portforwards.

http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750level-32mb-5xlan-p-560.html
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750gllevel-64mb-gbit-p-1130.html

Code? I assume by that I'd have to do a bit of messing around to get port forwarding up and running?

Code? I assume by that I'd have to do a bit of messing around to get port forwarding up and running?

No, you just paste the code into a terminal you open in a config utility. The following code forwards port 8080 to 192.168.88.254, it's not much harder than trying to configure it in a web gui

/ip firewall nat
    add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=portforward1 dst-port=8080 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=8080

Advertisement