Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption Advice Required

Options
  • 20-03-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Myself and my wife are considering going down the adoption route at the moment. Before deciding however we would be interested in obtaining information/advice from people who have already been through the process regarding what's involved, how long it takes, how much it costs, etc. If anyone has any advice for us we would be delighted to hear it. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Myself and my wife are considering going down the adoption route at the moment. Before deciding however we would be interested in obtaining information/advice from people who have already been through the process regarding what's involved, how long it takes, how much it costs, etc. If anyone has any advice for us we would be delighted to hear it. Thanks in advance

We've been through two International Adoptions and have two wonderful children, its not a fast nor easy process. But its been a few years since and the landscape has changed completely since then.. Took 10 years from very first contact to completing second adoption.

Contact www.iaaireland.org and they will have the most recent information available and can put you in touch with families also in the process or just completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

bbam wrote: »
    We've been through two International Adoptions and have two wonderful children, its not a fast nor easy process. But its been a few years since and the landscape has changed completely since then.. Took 10 years from very first contact to completing second adoption.

Contact www.iaaireland.org and they will have the most recent information available and can put you in touch with families also in the process or just completed.

I was thinking about adopting too when I get a bit older and am financially stable. I was talking to the girls in work and they were saying it has got a lot harder to adopt with the Hague Convention implementation in 2010 and that there is very few Irish children being adopted every year.

I can't believe it took you 10 years. :eek: :( I'd be devastated if I don't have children. I got a bit panicked when I heard how hard it is to adopt and I'm only 22. I wanted to adopt when I'm in my thirties but I didn't realise it took so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

maguic24 wrote: »
    I was thinking about adopting too when I get a bit older and am financially stable. I was talking to the girls in work and they were saying it has got a lot harder to adopt with the Hague Convention implementation in 2010 and that there is very few Irish children being adopted every year.

I can't believe it took you 10 years. :eek: :( I'd be devastated if I don't have children. I got a bit panicked when I heard how hard it is to adopt and I'm only 22. I wanted to adopt when I'm in my thirties but I didn't realise it took so long.

Differing HSE areas will take a little more or less time so its not going to be the same for everyone.. We took no time between adoptions to increase the wait, it just took 10 years. I fully support the HSE process of indepth assessment we went through, its grewling, tiresome, invasive and sometimes patranising - but a proper thorough process is essential.

I'm not going to comment on Hauge too much as TBH I'm not that well informed on it and the internet has enough people giving advice without knowing what they are talking about..

All I can say is that once out this side of the 10 years it melts away, the dark days and sleepless nights worrying about paperwork and which minister is sitting on their hands or what "i wasn't doted" or "t not crossed" passes. We have two stunning girls, whom if the process didn't take the path it did - maybe we wouldn't have met and I just can't imagine that.

The IAA are a fantastic organisation. Repeatedly I post here for people thinking about international adoption to contact them. They have a fantastic network of real experiences to draw from and are well versed on the current state of affairs. They organise regular seminars on pre and post adoption issues and related topics, membership is cheap for all you get. (i'm a greatful member rather than directly involved). With strong organisations like the IAA and others (we're also ICCG members) adotion issues are brought to the fore and information and education are the tool of the day.

Advertisement