Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23mm or 25mm racer tyres

Options
  • 20-03-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all
    with the recent good press for a bigger tyre having better rolling etc.etc have any of ye switched over from 23 to 25mm tyres.
    Our cycling group of 8 are putting in an order for a whack of tyres and though most of us have gotten on fine with 23mm these past few years is it worth it to jump to 25mm ??

I can see the appeal for Irish Roads for sure if it means they can use less pressure and absorb abuse a bit better, but not at a big cost to speed....

any feedback appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I generally use 25mm in the winter/wet months (so most of the time) and 23mm when the weather is a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I'm using 25mm all year round, even for the odd race I might get up to. Had originally 23mm tyres when I got my first road bike. From feel there isn't much between those sizes. Ride comfort and feel has more to do with the materials and construction of the tyre and of course the pressure you're running them at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hmmzis wrote: »
    I'm using 25mm all year round, even for the odd race I might get up to. Had originally 23mm tyres when I got my first road bike. From feel there isn't much between those sizes. Ride comfort and feel has more to do with the materials and construction of the tyre and of course the pressure you're running them at.

Maybe its in the mind but I much prefer the 25mm for comfort all things being equal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Just swapped over to 25s and do notice a difference in comfort on the road, hard to tell on the speed front.

On the other point in the article, what PSI do people generally go for, and do people have training and racing tyres, I just got GP4000S 25s and max PSI is 120, but also have Vitorias with max 140 PSI that are racing tyres, but would there be much difference in racing on the GP4000s?

I'm 95kg so is the higher PSI i.e. push it to max inflation better or not?

Sorry if OT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I think that with 25mm tyres to get the lower rolling resistance you need a lower pressure than for a 23mm tyre. It's all based on the shape of the footprint of the tyre on the road. 120psi seems high but there are some equations on the web where you enter weight of rider and bike and size of tyre to get the right pressure. I am 83kg with an 8kg bike and am supposed to use 100psi front and 110psi rear. I am not racing for team sky though so I'm not too OCD about it

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Go for the 25mm. Wider tyres generally offer more comfort. They do of course weigh more, but that is not an issue really in terms of impact on performance. You could even consider 28mm, though I think 25mm offers the optimum combination of comfort, low rolling resistance and versatility-most frames should take a 25 but a 28 will not fit in some. My recommendation would be to order a load of 25mm Continental gp 4000s tyres. They can be had for a good price on Bikecomponents.de or other German sites (around €24 per-tyre, probably double that in your average LBS)and if you are bulk buying, the cost of postage will be miniscule.

+1 for the gp4000s tyres. Now that there is a version 2, you can get some great deals from the German sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

ashleey wrote: »
    +1 for the gp4000s tyres. Now that there is a version 2, you can get some great deals from the German sites.

even for racing on? or just training/sportives etc... is there much to be gained from lighter, higher PSI tyres for the roads in Ireland when racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I am also on 25mm gp4000s tyres. For training and racing. I like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

even for racing on? or just training/sportives etc... is there much to be gained from lighter, higher PSI tyres for the roads in Ireland when racing?

Higher PSI on <25mm will not make you any faster, it will get you slower if anything as the tire will be "bouncing" around on the surface. Mondello/corkeagh park is a different story as the tarmac is smooth and grippy as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am running a mix of 24mm & 25mm Vittoria Open Pave on various different wheel sets.
    I absolutely love them. They are fantastically comfortable to ride on and roll well. Grip has not been an issue - I would say that they are pretty good.

I have used a pair now since Oct without puncture (asking for it now).

When they do puncture they puncture really well. By that I mean thy hold shape. Also IMO they haven't suddenly deflated - it occurs more slowly - meaning you can cycle further with a puncture.

Now I am using clinchers - but I find that I am pumping the tyres way less than GP4000s. I don't know is this down to tyre or tube or combo.

They are a bit pricey at about 55€ a tyre, but I will be buying more.

PS - I have them on various wheels - they go on and off really easy.

A thoroughly brilliant tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Use both. 23mm - Front
    25mm - Rear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

depends on the rim, a 19mm wide rims isnt great with 25mm, it will work but its not the best choice

23mm wide rim with 25mm wide tyre is very comfortable, and depending on the rim profile it can be as aero as a narrower tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

would most average wheels ( mavic axium etc. ) be grand for 25mm tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Some food for thought here, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

davgtrek wrote: »
    would most average wheels ( mavic axium etc. ) be grand for 25mm tyres.

Yep, fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

GP4000s are fine for racing on. What I like about them is they are also very puncture resistant-you could use them for your winter tyre actually. Basically, it's the versatility that I like. They are a bit on the expensive side, but personally, I think tyres are one area where you should invest as the gains to be had from good versus bad tyres are significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Some top end bikes won't take 25s due to lack of clearance. And some 25s have a lot of rubber and are closer to 26/27. Try before you buy.

slow wrote: »
    Some top end bikes won't take 25s due to lack of clearance. And some 25s have a lot of rubber and are closer to 26/27. Try before you buy.

A good point.

I have gp 4000s 25mm on fulcrum racing quattro wheels in a Focus Cayo Evo frame and there is absolutely no more room at the rear brake bridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement