Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting. Cost of oil heating

Options
  • 20-03-2014 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Just wondering what you would expect to pay for oil heating. We rent an average size two bedroom house since last December. Have the heat on approx 3 hours per day and to date have spent €800 on oil. Could it be a boiler problem would this be normal for oil? Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    Just wondering what you would expect to pay for oil heating. We rent an average size two bedroom house since last December. Have the heat on approx 3 hours per day and to date have spent €800 on oil. Could it be a boiler problem would this be normal for oil? Thanks.:confused:

December 2013 or 2012? How much oil was in the tank when you moved in? If it's a 1000 litre tank, that would be about €800 for a fill, so if you had barely anything in the tank and had to fill it that would be understandable.

My parents have oil heating for a 4 bed house and usually get it filled twice a year. But my mother loves the heating and has it on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Can anyone get at the tank? There has been cases of people stealing it. Are you sure its only on for three hours?

Its worth considering if you need to heat the whole house.

I got 2 hours a day for two months on 280.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Can anyone get at the tank? There has been cases of people stealing it. Are you sure its only on for three hours?

Its worth considering if you need to heat the whole house.

I got 2 hours a day for two months on 280.

with out known the kWh rating of the boiler, the temperature its set to, the insulation properties of the house etc, that information is useless and has no relation to what the OP may use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

It all depends on the age /how efficient the boiler is and what temp is it set at? I used to rent an old enough house with oil Central heating never again. The boiler was the original boiler (so not very efficient) the house was not very well insulated either. I only heated 1 bedroom, the hall (1 radiator) and TV room I would say for 3 hours per day and we would spend €200 on oil per month absolute madness and we were absolutely freezing (It was a 3 bed house). I now live in a 3 bed with gas BER c3 (so not great but grand) house is 16 years old (original boiler), on maternity leave so have heating on a good bit (some days a good 6 hours especially when baby was first born) our recent gas bill for 56 days was €160 previous one was only €105 for 63 days (was still on maternity leave but baby wasn't born so heating only on for maybe 3 hours per day. Never again will I live in a house with oil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Millem wrote: »
    It all depends on the age /how efficient the boiler is and what temp is it set at? I used to rent an old enough house with oil Central heating never again. The boiler was the original boiler (so not very efficient) the house was not very well insulated either. I only heated 1 bedroom, the hall (1 radiator) and TV room I would say for 3 hours per day and we would spend €200 on oil per month absolute madness and we were absolutely freezing (It was a 3 bed house). I now live in a 3 bed with gas BER c3 (so not great but grand) house is 16 years old (original boiler), on maternity leave so have heating on a good bit (some days a good 6 hours especially when baby was first born) our recent gas bill for 56 days was €160 previous one was only €105 for 63 days (was still on maternity leave but baby wasn't born so heating only on for maybe 3 hours per day. Never again will I live in a house with oil!

Completely agree, just glad I know about the price of oil before I buy a new place. Never again re oil. Thanks for all the comments guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But it depends on the house. Oil can work out cheap for a mid terrace house. My parents have a large 3 bed mid terrace which is quite easy to heat. Oil is cheaper than gas, as the gas standing charge eats into most of the saving of having gas fired heating

Completely agree, just glad I know about the price of oil before I buy a new place. Never again re oil. Thanks for all the comments guys.

I am they very same never again has all the way :) plus what annoys me is the oil companies completely rip you off with the price per litre when buying €200 and €800 is a lot of money to shell out all in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hfallada wrote: »
    But it depends on the house. Oil can work out cheap for a mid terrace house. My parents have a large 3 bed mid terrace which is quite easy to heat. Oil is cheaper than gas, as the gas standing charge eats into most of the saving of having gas fired heating
    Yeah and same goes for well insulated airtight modern properties. Oil makes sense there as well if you don't go for a heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Millem wrote: »
    €800 is a lot of money to shell out all in one go

Did you never hear of saving for something.:rolleyes:
    It's not as if winter and the need for heating comes as a surprise now, is it.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Did you never hear of saving for something.:rolleyes:
    It's not as if winter and the need for heating comes as a surprise now, is it.

Yes I actually have heard of saving it doesn't change the fact that the a lot of households just don't have the cash flow to shell out €800 in one go nor can they save it. My old oil company (emo) linked to to credit unions to give you a loan for €800 at a lower rate and then they pay emo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check the pipe going from the tank to the boiler. See if any of it goes underground. If it's above ground, and it bursts, you'll know about it, but if it's underground, it could be leaking. Something to keep in mind.

Advertisement