Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland

Options
  • 20-03-2014 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Folks,
    My partner and I will soon be moving back to Cork/Kerry area after thirty three years living in the UK and it feels like a move to a foreign country for me? Trying to plan the practacalities, have a house there and lots of relatives, has anybody any advice on the do's and dont's? Thanks in advance. G n :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Don't use pickfords as the removal company!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Don't use pickfords as the removal company!
    Thanks no I shalln't, Have a very helpful chap that has moved me the last few times and while not the cheapest, certainly makes a hassle free experience and is very reliable.

Pickfords were the most expensive >£10,000 for move and storage and it was a terrible experience from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

I am especially interested in the following if anybody has had an experience?
    The most economic way to transfer money from uk to eire bank on a regular basis as my pension etc. will be uk based.
    What of the Irish health service, do I need a health insutrance policy?
    How can I or should I maintain an address in the UK and to what advantage?
    Any other thoughts on anything I need to be doing now as due to move in May.
    Appreciatively, G n

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The most economic way to transfer money from uk to eire bank on a regular basis as my pension etc. will be uk based.
    Probably best off looking for that answer in the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum.

• Advertisement

If it's a private/civil service pension you might be able to get it sent straight from the pension firm to ireland but basic state pension will have to come via a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Appreciatively, G n

I use a FairFX currency card, you can load the GBP onto their Euro card, then withdraw it or use it as a Debit card here.
    I'm in the UK but I've sent one home to be used to clear off an old loan and I pre load prior to any visits home too.

If you're taking a car back you don't need to pay the full whack VAT that you would if you were buying to import. Think it's just a couple of hundred quid to register.

razorblunt wrote: »

If you're taking a car back you don't need to pay the full whack VAT that you would if you were buying to import. Think it's just a couple of hundred quid to register.

This only applies if you have owned the car for more than six months, and then you won't be able to sell it for a further six months.

You might find that your UK bank can do transfers online, just check the fees beforehand, I know that nationwide charge £25 per transaction but other banks are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Appreciatively, G n

The cheapest way I have found to transfer funds from the UK to Ireland provided you have a bank account in both is to use CurrencyFair. Takes a bit to set up and considerably cheaper than using a bank equivalent I have found. Im a very satisfied customer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

The cheapest way I have found to transfer funds from the UK to Ireland provided you have a bank account in both is to use CurrencyFair. Takes a bit to set up and considerably cheaper than using a bank equivalent I have found. Im a very satisfied customer!
    once you are up and running with currency fair it is unbelievably easy! I'd be lost without it, banks charging £25 for a fee is robbery!

Advertisement