Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor IP Network Cameras , tilt / pan / wifi €30.58

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I had one of these, they're sold under a load of different One Hung Low brandnames. They seem to be priced around £40 from the uk so it comes down to duty/delivery times.

Not a bad camera for the money to be fair. Web UI is pretty rubbish but the usual phone apps work with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Seems very cool.
    How does this work.
    I don't have a fixed line internet connection where i am.
    I presume you need this to connect it via wifi at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Seems very cool.
    How does this work.
    I don't have a fixed line internet connection where i am.
    I presume you need this to connect it via wifi at home.

Connects to your wifi, and plugged in to power source via supplied power adapter I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Resolution 0.3 Megapixels :(

It's not great, but enough if you just want to oversee your driveway.

I've a FosCam FI8918W which would have a near identical spec, and it does the job okay.
    There's an Android app called IP Cam Viewer which lets you view the camera from your smart phone and also hear the audio from the mic.

Also, I've one a Zyzel NSA325 NAS box (there's a big thread about the smaller NSA310 on bargain alerts too), and was able to install the linux program "ffmpeg", and I'm able to get my NAS box to record the video with a nice little security timestamp on each video frame.

But you're not going to get great night time shots, unless you also use an external infra-red lighting source.
    Since this is an indoor camera, if you try pointing it outside through a window, then the IR LEDS will shine back at you.

But for €30 or so, that's not a bad price for one of these pan & tilt cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Cheers for the tip OP, was looking for one of these and picked one up from this tip, much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I have gone through a number of IP cameras. I found that the no-name chinese ones are no worse than the branded Foscams... in fact some of the Foscams have a nasty bug where a 'busy' image can cause the image processor to lock up until rebooted. I have a number of Tenvis cameras that are better than most out there, but for this price, I'd say these Wanscam units are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006P7N2UC/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Loads of them out there but this had best reviews on Amazon,.....the lightinthebox ones will get hit with VAT so could be more expensive

This works perfect, has night vision...the sound is very poor

To use sound on iphone you need to pay

To use on laptop it has to run on IE and I dont use IE....

But great, I can pan/tilt etc when anywhere.....including doing it recently in UK>.....

I got another and use as a baby cam, perfect as well for this

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

I don't think Lightinthebox have a free shipping option it seems, looks like the cheapest option is €11.66 or am I missing something? There's also the chance of getting hit with €7 odd VAT also.

I think the the option posted above from amazon would work out cheaper and wouldn't take 3 weeks to arrive either.

Edit: This one seems like a good alternative to, might pick this one up instead, amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I got the same Tenvis as 2 posts above but from ebay. I got it through Parcel Motel as the shipping directly to Ireland is way too much. Happy enough with it and I was even toying with the idea of buying another one to point at the driveway. Very good value for the money. The Tenvis app is very useful compared to the third partie ones, I even get sound with it, but is weak.

As for the amazon one, just be careful as the seller if based in China as well, so the usual long delivery time applies.
    Also, I've one a Zyzel NSA325 NAS box (there's a big thread about the smaller NSA310 on bargain alerts too), and was able to install the linux program "ffmpeg", and I'm able to get my NAS box to record the video with a nice little security timestamp on each video frame.

Can you please post a little tutorial of how you managed to get the NAS record from the cam?

m4r10 wrote: »
    I got the same Tenvis as 2 posts above but from ebay. I got it through Parcel Motel as the shipping directly to Ireland is way too much. Happy enough with it and I was even toying with the idea of buying another one to point at the driveway. Very good value for the money. The Tenvis app is very useful compared to the third partie ones, I even get sound with it, but is weak.

As for the amazon one, just be careful as the seller if based in China as well, so the usual long delivery time applies.

I got free shipping and it arrived around 2-3 days after order so not sure why you say they are based in China?

Once you are over 30 pound on some items on Amazon then free shipping.....:D

Quick edit: See on website:
    In stock.
    Sold by Buydealpe and Fulfilled by Amazon.

So comes straight from Amazon so no chinese shipping.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I got free shipping and it arrived around 2-3 days after order so not sure why you say they are based in China?

Once you are over 30 pound on some items on Amazon then free shipping.....:D

Quick edit: See on website:
    In stock.
    Sold by Buydealpe and Fulfilled by Amazon.

So comes straight from Amazon so no chinese shipping.....

Just going by the seller's details page from amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_ss?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=1&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&seller=A1NCCYZA41V0QZ#aag_legalInfo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

can you record on this camera

dodzy wrote: »
    Connects to your wifi, and plugged in to power source via supplied power adapter I guess.

Thanks.
    I don't have fixed wifi at home.
    Anyone with any ingenious ways I could get around this.
    Could i use a portable hotspot on a smartphone with maybe a payg sim with a bit of data addon on it. How much data would it need to receive to work or does it need data to work at all ie does it just need the architecture of a wifi router.

Someone's gonna tell that's a stupid question I know but humour me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

can you record on this camera
    We have a few of these from Foscams to EasyN and use this software to record all footage to a PC.:
    http://www.blueirissoftware.com/8.html

SOftware is $50 and works great for a simple cheap CCTV setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Thanks.
    Could i use a portable hotspot on a smartphone with maybe a payg sim with a bit of data addon on it. How much data would it need to receive to work or does it need data to work at all ie does it just need the architecture of a wifi router.

You can wire the camera with Network cable to your router if you don't have wifi or want to have better reception.

Can you please post a little tutorial of how you managed to get the NAS record from the cam?

Hi,

rather than pollute this bargain alert thread, I've posted a mini-tutorial in the computers forum.

It's not for the technically faint-hearted.

Link here : Zyzel NAS Box recording from IP Camera thread

regards,
    CD

Thanks.

Vodafone have little Sim box which will create a wifi and allow 5 devices to connect, I got one from work and just upgraded to the 4g version....works ok but I only use for laptop/iPad when outside house, have UPC wifi for camera

As above, item ships from amazon and not seller so comes from uk

Vodafone have little Sim box which will create a wifi and allow 5 devices to connect, I got one from work and just upgraded to the 4g version....works ok but I only use for laptop/iPad when outside house, have UPC wifi for camera

Hi thanks.
    What is this.
    Is it on contract or payg.
    Thanks.

Hi thanks.
    What is this.
    Is it on contract or payg.
    Thanks.

From the look you can get it on either...see below for model I got...

I think O2 do the same as a friend has one, but it is the 3g one he has......

Says it can replace home Broadband...maybe if you are doing just browsing/email etc. Couldn't see it doing much else.....

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/internet-and-broadband/mobile-broadband/device-details/vodafone-r212-billpay

This is cheaper version, I would guess Three and Meteor do the same
    http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/internet-and-broadband/mobile-broadband/device-details/vodafone-mobile-wifi-r206

• Advertisement

From the look you can get it on either...see below for model I got...

I think O2 do the same as a friend has one, but it is the 3g one he has......

Says it can replace home Broadband...maybe if you are doing just browsing/email etc. Couldn't see it doing much else.....

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/internet-and-broadband/mobile-broadband/device-details/vodafone-r212-billpay

This is cheaper version, I would guess Three and Meteor do the same
    http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/internet-and-broadband/mobile-broadband/device-details/vodafone-mobile-wifi-r206

Thanks.
    No all I want is a wifi router equivalent with some kind of connection to the outside world.
    I don't want to be paying anything for the data connection as I wouldn't be using it for anything else. I have my own wifi hotspot on my phone for internet when I'm at home but obviously I take that with me on my phone when I leave.
    So (instead of shelling out for another connection) I was wondering if this thing you mention could be a cheap and cheerful solution (ie buy a data addon for the sim once and it should cover me for the year, say, to leave it at home to do its thing with the security camera).
    Hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

Thanks.
    No all I want is a wifi router equivalent with some kind of connection to the outside world.
    I don't want to be paying anything for the data connection as I wouldn't be using it for anything else. I have my own wifi hotspot on my phone for internet when I'm at home but obviously I take that with me on my phone when I leave.
    So (instead of shelling out for another connection) I was wondering if this thing you mention could be a cheap and cheerful solution (ie buy a data addon for the sim once and it should cover me for the year, say, to leave it at home to do its thing with the security camera).
    Hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

If you have a PC you could use an ethernet cable from the camera to the PC and set it up like that....there is ethernet port on camera......

If you have a PC you could use an ethernet cable from the camera to the PC and set it up like that....there is ethernet port on camera......

Sorry I don't get you.
    I could be trying to do the impossible tbh.
    Basically I just want to connect the camera to the outside world via a sim in a mobile hotspot that offers wifi for the camera (but that costs virtually nothing- as I won't be using it for anything else).

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

(but that costs virtually nothing- as I won't be using it for anything else).

Not possible, data is not free from any 3g provider without paying .

Sorry I don't get you.
    I could be trying to do the impossible tbh.
    Basically I just want to connect the camera to the outside world via a sim in a mobile hotspot that offers wifi for the camera (but that costs virtually nothing- as I won't be using it for anything else).

There is nothing in this World that costs virtually nothing:P:P......if you want to connect to external world then you need some sort of network to connect to, you have to pay for the network connection.....there is cheap network connection providers available but it depends on your location.....Dublin has the most option and I would say most main cities have as well....

If you want a monthly option then Vodafone home: http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/homeview but you again need connection to internet

But this works out massively expensive versus buying a camera yourself and just hooking up to your broadband.....the set up cost alone costs the same as camera above from Amazon

As mentioned above you need to open a thread in another forum

Be aware that video streams use up a lot of data that can very easily use up your data allowance.

As a rough example, if I were to record 1 frame of video per second, for only 12 hours, compressed with the MPEG4 codec, I'd expect around 1GB file size. And that's only with 640x480 resolution and no audio.

And the IP addresses on mobile phone connections change constantly, so you'd need to set up dynamic dns lookups eg. www.noip.com or else you wouldn't know the address to connect to your webcam from the internet.

Now cameras like these tend to have motion detection.
    So if they detect motion they can be configured to send you an e-mail with the last 5 frames that it detected motion.
    But depending on the weather, sun glare, how sensitive you configure the motion detection you could get constantly "spammed" with e-mail from your camera,
    again racking up your data bills. In fact at one stage, GMail blocked my account thinking I was spamming because I was sending/receiving so much e-mail from the camera.

And the IP addresses on mobile phone connections change constantly, so you'd need to set up dynamic dns lookups eg. www.noip.com or else you wouldn't know the address to connect to your webcam from the internet.

Tenvis supply this service free of charge with the camera which is very handy!!!

Be aware that video streams use up a lot of data that can very easily use up your data allowance.

As a rough example, if I were to record 1 frame of video per second, for only 12 hours, compressed with the MPEG4 codec, I'd expect around 1GB file size. And that's only with 640x480 resolution and no audio.

Now cameras like these tend to have motion detection.
    So if they detect motion they can be configured to send you an e-mail with the last 5 frames that it detected motion.
    But depending on the weather, sun glare, how sensitive you configure the motion detection you could get constantly "spammed" with e-mail from your camera,
    again racking up your data bills. In fact at one stage, GMail blocked my account thinking I was spamming because I was sending/receiving so much e-mail from the camera.

Yeah I think this was more in line with what I was thinking.
    Some notification of any intrusion (with some short snippet if this happened).
    Although the data for next to nothing solution seems to be a problem (I'm thinking along the lines of a three 1 gig payg data sim or something for such snippets).
    But as you say the dynamic IP is still an issue.

Although the data for next to nothing solution seems to be a problem (I'm thinking along the lines of a three 1 gig payg data sim or something for such snippets).

I don't use 3G for the internet, so I'm not sure if you can leave the connection on constantly, or whether the 3G modem would wake up and connect to the net when the camera attempts to send a motion detection e-mail to you.

If you're worried about data, on my camera you don't have to attach the last 5 motion detection photos in the e-mail, you can just send a text only e-mail, which would cut down on data significantly but leave you none the wiser what the camera saw !
    But as you say the dynamic IP is still an issue.

As Big Nelly said, the manufacturer provides that service for free.
    Also, no-ip.com was free last time I tried it.

So the camera contacts the dynamic dns server and updates the IP.
    So you end up with a static name for your camera, eg.

mywebcam.noip.com or mywebcam.tenvis.com

• Advertisement

Thanks lads for the advice.
    Maybe I need to bite the bullet and invest in a fixed connection. I've relied on mobile broadband because I rent and move a bit.
    Seems like a cool camera nonetheless.

Advertisement