Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating!

Options
  • 19-03-2014 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi :D

I am currently in Leaving Cert and it is looking like due to financial reasons I may have to defer any possible course I may get offered! I hope I don't have to do this but if I do I'm considering repeating to try and improve my points seeing as I would have nothing else to be doing during the year!

I'm just wondering how does it work if you want to repeat the leaving cert but not go back to school! Could I repeat it by myself from at home? How would this work with my projects for Geography, LCVP, History and Ag Science?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

Yes for non-project subjects you can repeat the leaving cert at home and sit as an external student. You can apply online through www.examinations.ie around January next year. The SEC have a list of centres that let external students sit the exams or if those centres are far away you could ask your old school or another nearby school if you can sit it there.

Projects need to be done under the supervision of a teacher and need to be signed off by the teacher so unless the teachers are willing to supervise you doing the projects then you have a problem.

You could pick new non-project subjects. Some repeats take up entirely new subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

4 of my subjects have projects!

I guess repeating externally isn't going to work and I couldn't face going back to school!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

If it worked out for you, you might only be in the school when the teacher needs to supervise you. Or you could try a different school. Some teachers are flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I would advise you to work hard , get your points now and defer on the CAO application. I am repeating now and it's a poisonous experience. If your reason for not being able to go to college next year is financial then try and find a job for the year or even during the summer. If finance is an issue also bear in mind that you have to pay a repeat fee of €129 and an exam fee of €301 along with uniform, schoolbooks etc. again.

There are so many other things you could do then repeat the Leaving Cert for no particular reason. Once is enough for anyone to sit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Thanks for the replies!

To be honest I think thelad95 is right. I absolutely hate this year so I don't see why I would do it again! I would get a job but I'm not in the best spot for jobs at the minute! I'll just cross my fingers I can scrape enough money before September :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement