Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it F**ked.

• 19-03-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Folks. Looking for advice please. So the story is my little lad emptied his milk bottle in the vent on top of my X-Box 360. I havent powered it up hoping it will dry out and magically work. What do ya reckon its chances are of it surviving.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Retrovin wrote: »
    Hi Folks. Looking for advice please. So the story is my little lad emptied his milk bottle in the vent on top of my X-Box 360. I havent powered it up hoping it will dry out and magically work. What do ya reckon its chances are of it surviving.....

If it wasn't powered on at the time and you dry it out completely its more than likely going to work. Most of the time liquid causes problems when electricity is running through it at the time. This leads to short circuits

Milk .. that's going to smell nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It's possible there may be some damage if the console was on standby, it really just depends. I would put the console into a hotpress for a day or two to be sure there's no liquid left before trying to power it on but you might get lucky. Your chances of it surviving? About 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Retrovin

Thanks guys for reply. Console is wrapped towel in hotpress. Wasnt even plugged in lucky enough and even luckier was XB1 was sitting beside but it and didnt get wet. I'll leave it a day or so before the moment of truth. If it does work there will be some stink when it heats up. Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I'd say even leave it there without the towel. Would probably dry out a bit better.

Yeah, take the towel off the console, no need for that - let evaporation get rid of the milk naturally

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 shanewalsh121

i spilled a pint of water over mine while it was on and it just shut down on me and wouldn't turn on so i wrapped it up in two towels got it to turn on and let it run for about 2-3 hours den turned it of the next morning it was working and still is 6months later so could give it a try if u want.

i spilled a pint of water over mine while it was on and it just shut down on me and wouldn't turn on so i wrapped it up in two towels got it to turn on and let it run for about 2-3 hours den turned it of the next morning it was working and still is 6months later so could give it a try if u want.

That's just pure luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The towel will only serve to hold moisture in, remove it as the others have suggested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

Open up your console and clean the sour milk from inside before trying to power on the console. The milk is just going to stick to the components. Use a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol or an alternative cleaning method to clean the pcb.

Cheers again for all suggestions. Towel removed and think I'll open it up and have a look try and remove the milk as suggested. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dyigirl4help

It depends what type of milk was spilled, reason being the PH level. Cows' milk in its purest, form milk is slightly acidic with a pH of 6.7. Human breast milk is by far considered as the most alkaline milk type, it has a slightly alkaline pH, just above 7; goat's milk and soy milk are other milk types fall under the category of low alkaline. Completely sour milk has a pH of about 4.4. If it is acidic I would quickly try to open up and clean the console top to bottom with emphasis on the laser of the disc drive as it may damage the diode.

Warning! Laser diodes from DVD-RW and I believe Blue-Ray drive are emitting visible and invisible laser radiation and they are extremely dangerous! Their light can permanently damage the eyes. You must never look into the working diode even without the lens or point it on a reflective surface. Laser beam can cause burns or fire. This is usually a Class IIIb laser. Everything you do at your own risk.

So please take GREAT care as to cleaning that and make sure your little one is nowhere around:o I am very sorry this happened to you and I hope you can fix your issue. But as I said, depending on the type of milk, if the PH is on the lower side, time is of the essence here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

It depends what type of milk was spilled, reason being the PH level. Cows' milk in its purest, form milk is slightly acidic with a pH of 6.7. Human breast milk is by far considered as the most alkaline milk type, it has a slightly alkaline pH, just above 7; goat's milk and soy milk are other milk types fall under the category of low alkaline. Completely sour milk has a pH of about 4.4. [/I][/U][/B]

Wow. You know your milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dyigirl4help

Xcellor wrote: »
    Wow. You know your milk.
    You know what they say about milk right? It does a body good:D

Well wonders will never cease. Plugged it in this morning and it worked..........well so far anyway. Doesnt smell too bad either. Thanks again for all the advice folks. Really appreciated.

Advertisement