Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interpol - New stuff

• 19-03-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

So Interpol played there first show in 2 years in Newcastle and later in Glasgow, and debuted 3 new songs, 'My Desire' , 'Anywhere' and 'All The Rage Back Home'. At the moment it's just fan concert videos to go on but from early impressions it seems a hark back to an 'Antics' sound and that's fantastic IMO.

The last album was a bit iffy and way lighter than a lot of fans would have liked to have seen. The uncertainty with Carlos leaving seemed to through them off a bit and they definitely lost a bit of edge on it. I'm really looking forward to the new stuff though and to see them play live again.

'All The Rage Back Home' sounds particularly impressive, especially when it speeds up.

'Anywhere'

'My Desire'

'All The Rage Back Home'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Corholio wrote: »
    So Interpol played there first show in 2 years in Newcastle and later in Glasgow, and debuted 3 new songs, 'My Desire' , 'Anywhere' and 'All The Rage Back Home'. At the moment it's just fan concert videos to go on but from early impressions it seems a hark back to an 'Antics' sound and that's fantastic IMO.

The last album was a bit iffy and way lighter than a lot of fans would have liked to have seen. The uncertainty with Carlos leaving seemed to through them off a bit and they definitely lost a bit of edge on it. I'm really looking forward to the new stuff though and to see them play live again.

'All The Rage Back Home' sounds particularly impressive, especially when it speeds up.

'Anywhere'

'My Desire'

'All The Rage Back Home'

:eek: A bit? They haven't released a consistently excellent record since TOTBL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The first album is good, every other album forms the same pattern. There statuesque as a live act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

mosstin wrote: »
    :eek: A bit? They haven't released a consistently excellent record since TOTBL.

Really? While not matching the enormous quality of 'TOTBL', 'Antics' was still a superb album, and half of 'Our Love To Admire' was also pretty good. The last album I can understand the criticism of though definitely, but it still brought 'Success' and 'Lights', 2 of their best live songs IMO.

As for being statuesque, well Paul is but that's just his way. Kessler has plenty of energy on stage. Don't know what difference it makes though, their live shows are still great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Antics is their finest album in my opinion. Not as dark as 'TOTBL'

I'm actually going over the the London gig next week. Looking forward to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to their return

• Advertisement

Just back from the Brixton Academy gig, it was a bit flat for me. The crowd were great though.

Hands Away was by far their best performance of the night. Spine-tingling stuff.

Unfortunately too much of their other stuff was underwhelming live for me.

Temples were excellent, definitely one to check out over the summer. I think they are playing EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

New stuff sounds great I think! Certainly has more of an Antics/TOTBL feel to it which is fantastic. Agreed that their last two efforts were poor, or at least I didn't enjoy them anyway! Really looking forward to the new album, whenever it be released :) Also, when are they coming to Ireland ta f*ck?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

One of the few bands that I like all their albums. Agreed Antics and TOTBL were unreal but saying that I loved Our Love To Admire. The guitar in Pioneer to the Falls will always be one of my favourites. And Lights from the self titled album was very good too. Can't wait for the new album! Apparently it is pretty much finished, recording wise and could be out before the end of the year which is great!

Well the album is 'out' and it's really, really good. The studio versions of all the songs already heard, 'My Desire' and 'Anywhere' are all superb sounding. It really is a return to form sound wise, the last album died a little with the much softer songs at the end, no sign of that here at all. 'My Blue Supreme' is one of the highlights of the album most definitely, a very 'un-Inteprol' song and yet as Interpol as you can at times. Banks really throws in his voice in a different way on that track. 'Breaker 1' is grinding Interpol at their very best. Some of Kessler's riffs on this are immediate and sonically fantastic, the start of 'Tidal Wave' is absolutely wonderful.

I think they've definitely overcome the 'No Carlos' period with aplomb and the 3 members have made the band their own now.

I'm absolutely loving All The Rage Back Home :) A quality, upbeat song, something that was definitely lacking on the last album. Listened to the first half of the new album and really liking it, certainly has a mixture of TOTBL and OLTA. Looking forward to listening to more of it and of course seeing them in February!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Good album.

My Desire is dreadful though. A throwback to the muck on the previous 2 albums.

I think the studio version of 'My Desire' is quite decent actually, more punch to it than the live one it seems. Wouldnt be my favourite off the album or anything though.

Loving the album still, was looking around and it's getting very good reviews. Most critics are calling it Interpol's return to form. Haven't seen one bad review yet. Most are agreeing it's a brilliant album. I know reviews shouldn't matter as long as you like the album but it makes me happy to see their work getting appreciated.

For a band still to be releasing a quality album 12 years on is brilliant. A bit of me thinks Carlos departure spurred them on a bit. Gave them a source to use for their inspiration for both the lyrics and music and a point to prove. The bass lines in this album aren't as memorable as Carlos' were and he was a brilliant musician but I think his departure helped them overall.

I haven't actually bought a CD in a long time but I might just go out and buy the CD to have it rather than just buying it on itunes.

So, what are people's thoughts on El Pintor?

Downloaded it Tuesday and have had quite a few listens to it since. My first impressions are that this album has some real urgency to it, something that was seriously lacking on the last album. Especially the first half of the album, which contain 4 of my favorites- All the Rage, Anywhere, Blue Supreme and My Desire. The album really sounds like Our Live to Admire part 2. Which is good and bad. Overall, I'd say it's an okay album. The usual cries for Carlos Denger and his genius basslines is till there. Still, El Pintor is certainly better than their last and I appreciate that there at least more upbeat songs on the album. However, there are some wishy-washy songs on it, particulay when Banks sings in falseto which I personally hate. When Banks sings like the good ol days, the songs are great. All this being said, maybe I need to listen to the album a bit more to get into it. Overall, a move in a slightly better direction. 6.5/10

sheroman01 wrote: »
    So, what are people's thoughts on El Pintor?

Downloaded it Tuesday and have had quite a few listens to it since. My first impressions are that this album has some real urgency to it, something that was seriously lacking on the last album. Especially the first half of the album, which contain 4 of my favorites- All the Rage, Anywhere, Blue Supreme and My Desire. The album really sounds like Our Live to Admire part 2. Which is good and bad. Overall, I'd say it's an okay album. The usual cries for Carlos Denger and his genius basslines is till there. Still, El Pintor is certainly better than their last and I appreciate that there at least more upbeat songs on the album. However, there are some wishy-washy songs on it, particulay when Banks sings in falseto which I personally hate. When Banks sings like the good ol days, the songs are great. All this being said, maybe I need to listen to the album a bit more to get into it. Overall, a move in a slightly better direction. 6.5/10

I think El Pintor is a great improvement on "Interpol" and nearly arguable better than OLTA, all down to personal opinions though. Still don't think its as good as Antics and TOTB but I'm really loving this album.

I'd probably rate it around 7.5/10 ~ 8/10. I admit it is lacking those memorable baselines that Carlos Dengler gave but he lost his love with the instrument and the band.

It was probably the best thing for the band not to have him on this album, in interviews they have said they knew he wasn't enjoying himself anymore and that there were some rough times.

It feels like this album is like a fresh start for them or something, I'm loving the guitar riffs in it. Think I've listened to the album near ten times now ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Adamocovic wrote: »

It was probably the best thing for the band not to have him on this album

but this is already the second album without him...

Blackpitts wrote: »
    but this is already the second album without him...

Nope he was involved in the writing and recording of the self titled album but left before it's release. Apparently he was sick of the instrument and touring and so he called it a day when they were finished recording the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

When I saw them play before Kings of Leon at Oxegen in 2008 I said to absent friends afterwards that either the band will break up or Carlos will leave. I thought it was quite obvious from the outside perspective that he just wasn't 'there' anymore.

I'm really liking El Pintor. I would rate it above OLTA purely because it's more consistent. There are some tracks on OLTA that I just can't say I love. The weakest of the newer tracks is disappointingly the final track, Twice as Hard. It just trods along and isn't an astounding last track.

After listening to the album extensively over the last few weeks I must say it's a solid record, definitely a step in the right direction.

Anywhere is by far the best song on offer IMO, I can't wait to hear it live, always going mad to it in the car. Everything Is Wrong is another I quite like.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bobbygrant

Anyone listened else to this much? Gave it a couple of listens but does sound a bit dull and samey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

bobbygrant wrote: »
    Anyone listened else to this much? Gave it a couple of listens but does sound a bit dull and samey

I always find people say "samey" when they haven't listened to something enough. Maybe give it a few more listens?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Every time I listen to it I have a new favourite track. It's growing on me, I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Tonight's gig in Toronto cancelled due to them being stuck in a snowstorm! Was really looking forward to hearing the new stuff live.

Julian Casablancas better get a shovel ready for Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

RichFTW wrote: »
    Tonight's gig in Toronto cancelled due to them being stuck in a snowstorm! Was really looking forward to hearing the new stuff live.

Julian Casablancas better get a shovel ready for Friday!

40 hours apparently. Hope they were forced to listen to their third album non-stop. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

mosstin wrote: »
    40 hours apparently. Hope they were forced to listen to their third album non-stop. Awful stuff.

Ya OLTA would be my least favourite too. I more I listen to the new one, the more I like it. A respectable 3rd favourite for me, the first two are just too good to shift from the top spots.

Any Van Halen album would be my torture weapon of choice though but I'll hold off until they reschedule.

Advertisement