Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Agriculture

Options
  • 19-03-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

(not sure if this should be in Agriculture or Economy )

Ireland employs about 117,000 in agriculture, forestry and fishing, and exports about €9.9 billion in 2013

Holland exports €75.4 billion in agri foods in 2012 and employes over 600,000 people on a full and part time basis.

They seem to produce far more of everything than we do, except beef cattle, although they are not too far behind us, (http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-FK-13-001/EN/KS-FK-13-001-EN.PDF) ,
    this is despite having a land area 59% the size of Ireland.

does anyone know or have a link to any good sources as to why they are about 10 times more productive than us ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

NET exports are the figures you really need to look at for Holland.
    They import massive quantities agricultural comodities through the port in Rotterdam.
    The majority of these imports are then re-exported to much of the rest of Europe thereby skewing their agricultural export stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

ah so they are not above massively messaging their figures as well .

I noticed that farm output according to Euro stat was 4.2 billion in Ireland and 18.9 billion in Netherlands , are these figures some how inflated as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Don't forget that both the farmers and the land are highly productive.

sheebadog wrote: »
    Don't forget that both the farmers and the land are highly productive.

well that's what i was wondering, what factors make the land and farmers far more productive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

daithicarr wrote: »
    ah so they are not above massively messaging their figures as well .

I noticed that farm output according to Euro stat was 4.2 billion in Ireland and 18.9 billion in Netherlands , are these figures some how inflated as well?
    well that's what i was wondering, what factors make the land and farmers far more productive

I wonder if that figure includes the fact that they produce so much of the worlds flowers/flowering bulbs and all the greenhouse veggies as well. They do have the advantage of a massive urban market on their doorstep with cheaper transport needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I know very little about farming but I grew up in rural Holland (if there is such a thing) and I'd have to guess that Holland being incredibly flat will help no? There won't be any of the challenges farmers have here. Also Holland has nearly 4 times the population so the market is much much bigger. This could mean that investments that just would be too expensive here might well be feasible there.

(also I'd say that the land area is probably even less than 59% due to the amount of water in holland, just looked it up, works out to be about 49% and a lot more of that than in Ireland would be taken up with cities/towns etc.)

Could it be that things like flowers etc. are counted in the numbers? Serious money in the flower business.

Just had a look at the Dutch statistics office and the one thing that immediately jumped out is that there's 98 million square meters of greenhouses. About half of which is flowers.

http://statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/publication/?DM=SLNL&PA=80780NED&D1=23-24,32,50-51,59,64-65,79,86-88,155-156,167,170,180,194,295-296,317,320-321,384,388,399-404,406,417-418,427,440,444,451,500,504,512,518-519,526&D2=0&D3=0,5,(l-2),(l-1),l&HDR=G1,G2&STB=T&VW=T

EDIT: apparently the exports were 79 billion last year : http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/01/17/waarde-agrarische-export-vorig-jaar-goed-voor-record/

Not only flowers, but they seem to produce a huge quantity of everything else. if you look through that Euro stat report the only thing I can see they don't produce more of is beef and forestry .

I know they are well situated with regards to markets. But most of our fruit and veg seems to come from there.

The massive amount of greenhouses is certainly a major reason why they produce so much.
    I just wonder why they are not utilised on a similar scale here, or even on a scale to produce a greater proportion of our own fruit and veg. And if there are other factors apart from an abundance of greenhouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Ireland employs about 117,000 in agriculture, forestry and fishing, and exports about €9.9 billion in 2013

Holland exports €75.4 billion in agri foods in 2012 and employes over 600,000 people on a full and part time basis.

They seem to produce far more of everything than we do, except beef cattle, although they are not too far behind us, (http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-FK-13-001/EN/KS-FK-13-001-EN.PDF) ,

does anyone know or have a link to any good sources as to why they are about 10 times more productive than us ?

Well they seem to be able to sell their vegetables in the Dublin market easier than Irish growers.
    They have it much easier growing veg on the poulders, 1 set of rotavator blades a year compared to 7 or 8 sets here, even in sandy soil around rush and lusk. Land is also flat and drained properly and good square fields, just look on google maps.

Not only flowers, but they seem to produce a huge quantity of everything else. if you look through that Euro stat report the only thing I can see they don't produce more of is beef and forestry .

I know they are well situated with regards to markets. But most of our fruit and veg seems to come from there.

The massive amount of greenhouses is certainly a major reason why they produce so much.
    I just wonder why they are not utilised on a similar scale here, or even on a scale to produce a greater proportion of our own fruit and veg. And if there are other factors apart from an abundance of greenhouses.
    Have you seen the amount of glass in rush, lusk, North co Dublin at all? Plenty of it and plenty overgrown and not used because it's not worth growers while, many lads have given up as prices paid are below cost of production of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

don't forget there's a huge capital cost in setting up growing veg/flowers and that's before you consider the power the supermarkets have

• Advertisement

conor t wrote: »
    don't forget there's a huge capital cost in setting up growing veg/flowers and that's before you consider the power the supermarkets have

Even the lads that have the machinery etc aren't making anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

I know a guy who invested hugely in glasshouses and polytunnels to grow early potatoes. The bad storm completly destroyed them and now he is broke from it. So maybe its a risky business to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Henwin wrote: »
    I know a guy who invested hugely in glasshouses and polytunnels to grow early potatoes. The bad storm completly destroyed them and now he is broke from it. So maybe its a risky business to get into

Was he featured on the rag last week?

micraX wrote: »
    Have you seen the amount of glass in rush, lusk, North co Dublin at all? Plenty of it and plenty overgrown and not used because it's not worth growers while, many lads have given up as prices paid are below cost of production of anything.

Well we grow some fruit and veg here so obviously its possible to some degree and the dutch must be doing it at a sustainable price. Im curious to know what are the factors which allow its success or failure.

I do see empty and new greenhouses, as I do factory's and other business's , obviously there is a certain level of risk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yes but have you ever tasted any of what they produce:P

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Well we grow some fruit and veg here so obviously its possible to some degree and the dutch must be doing it at a sustainable price. Im curious to know what are the factors which allow its success or failure.

I do see empty and new greenhouses, as I do factory's and other business's , obviously there is a certain level of risk.
    Growing stuff is the easy part, we have 3 tunnels here as well as field scale vegetables and there is some sale, but the way the supermarkets are running things these days it's impossible for any foward planning as they put a tender to facilitators every 4 month's. And if youv a program of produce planted and have way true harvest your facilitator which you supply loses the contract, your ****ed.

micraX wrote: »
    Growing stuff is the easy part, we have 3 tunnels here as well as field scale vegetables and there is some sale, but the way the supermarkets are running things these days it's impossible for any foward planning as they put a tender to facilitators every 4 month's. And if youv a program of produce planted and have way true harvest your facilitator which you supply loses the contract, your ****ed.

I understand the supermarkets push a lot of producers out of business with their pricing and methods. Does it just mean that big producers are able to stay in the business or do they all go to the wall eventually and if so who steps in to fill the gap if they will just be destroyed ?

I understand the supermarkets push a lot of producers out of business with their pricing and methods. Does it just mean that big producers are able to stay in the business or do they all go to the wall eventually and if so who steps in to fill the gap if they will just be destroyed ?

One of the biggers parsnip growers went last year, (still has machinery on done deal) grew about 200 acres plus 100 acres of cauliflower and curly kale.
    This year the other two big parsnip growers grew over 100 acres more each and they are struggling to sell them.
    Then other lads grew more cauliflower and kale and there is a glut of caulis at the minute, was 14 euro a box this time last year, now lucky to get half that. There's only about 10-15 big veg growers left.

How are other country's producing it for so little that they can undercut the Irish producers so much ? or is it just the margins are so tight that if they undercut them even a little that the Irish producer will go under?

• Advertisement

In Ireland the retailers control the market. End of.
    Producers are second rank. The retailers use imported produce for continuity of supply AND as a tool to reduce price to farmers.
    Farmers (united together) need to break this cartel. It's a shame another arm of agriculture suffers. Lip service from the IFA before Xmas ain't worth shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

blue5000 wrote: »
    Yes but have you ever tasted any of what they produce:P

Yeah there horse burgers are atrocious compared to ours:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The Dutch tend to focus on high value goods such as flowers and garden related products. Go into any garden center and see how much of their trees, flowers and plants come from the Netherlands. Probably all of them. But its something the Dutch have done for centuries and are the best in the world for it.

Dutch farms are totally different to Ireland. They are generally completely flat and square. They are highly mechanized and very large compared to Ireland. The Netherlands is also quite a large producer of Fur which is growing in demand(although I doubt something Ireland wants to focus on producing as its "cruel", but yet people have no issues with being moved to China. Which makes European Fur farming look incredibly humane.)

hfallada wrote: »
    The Dutch tend to focus on high value goods such as flowers and garden related products. Go into any garden center and see how much of their trees, flowers and plants come from the Netherlands. Probably all of them. But its something the Dutch have done for centuries and are the best in the world for it.

Dutch farms are totally different to Ireland. They are generally completely flat and square. They are highly mechanized and very large compared to Ireland. The Netherlands is also quite a large producer of Fur which is growing in demand(although I doubt something Ireland wants to focus on producing as its "cruel", but yet people have no issues with being moved to China. Which makes European Fur farming look incredibly humane.)

Would disagree on the size of the Dutch farms. Small enough enterprises. Well run though.

Would disagree on the size of the Dutch farms. Small enough enterprises. Well run though.

According to the Euro stat report linked earlier the average size of a dutch farm is 25.9 hectares compared to 35.7 for Ireland
    (page 24)

What sort of actions can Irish producers and the government take to protect our agricultural sector from predatory tactics.?

According to the Euro stat report linked earlier the average size of a dutch farm is 25.9 hectares compared to 35.7 for Ireland
    (page 24)

What sort of actions can Irish producers and the government take to protect our agricultural sector from predatory tactics.?

Break the power of the large multiples. Simple.
    In France pork and poultry producers were taking a hammering from cheap imports and losing money fast.
    The government sat down the multiples and "suggested" they source their pork and poultry within 35km of the outlet. Job done.
    Won't happen in Ireland as the multiples have more influence on power than farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

In France pork and poultry producers were taking a hammering from cheap imports and losing money fast.
    The government sat down the multiples and "suggested" they source their pork and poultry within 35km of the outlet. Job done.
    Won't happen in Ireland as the multiples have more influence on power than farmers

wow tat sounds like a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

From what i saw on the dairy side. The dutch had very high output in yield. Price they got paid was similar to here input cost was similar to here. Farm size was no bigger acre wise but due to intensive production they were big output wise. Land prices were higher at 15 to 20k per acre for agri land (no site selling potential)
    Farm Buildings were beautiful built faced with red brick for looks (to get planning). Done to a very high standard internally. Auto humidity controlled blinds and robots for milking, feeding, scraping and scratching there backs.
    Debt was massive per farm. But was not a concern to them. 40 cow man with debt of 700k+. Most guys owed over 1 million.
    Drawings were low. And you would look at them as being mad to have spent so much money on there yard, but thinking about it they are working all day in luxury and all the hardship type work is done by robots. And they have enough money to live on. And as 1 of the dutch farmers explained if he makes a profit next year he will invest it in more tax deductible infastructure.

I reckoned if the dutch came to ireland they could run there system here and make more money than at home. The buildings could be built a lot cheaper here as we need 4 mts slurry storage where they need 6 or more mts. And the roof wouldnt need to be insulated like they have over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Holland is one giant flat delta with warmer and drier summers than ours. Most of Ireland can't really be compared to it in terms of soil, topography or climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Your right there. The interests of corporate fat cats is all that concerns the Irish Government, with everyone else coming a poor second.

Advertisement