Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twice Yesterday I was Asked for Money in Limerick

Options
  • 19-03-2014 3:06pm

so i usually go the crescent for everything i need as it handy its indoors alot of stores etc , for a change i decided to head into down

just finished with dunnes stores getting into lift

(your right it does smell in there) wont be returning there

a woman came out of there i guess he was only 21 or 22 blonde hair hardly anything on her said she lost there purse and need to get home and asked for fare for the bus

fair enough i said i get it to her suddenly the bus fare changed from that to wanting 20 euro for a taxi

ah here i said turned around kept walking

i got from one side of dunnes to the other side waiting for the wind to stop , it was very strong next to be was two people with a trolley full of shopping around 30-40 looked rough

so im guessing his wife said to me could she have money to get a cab home in my head i swore and rolled my eyes and just left

at the bus stop literally around the corner while waiting for the bus i see the same woman approach an old woman and i saw the old woman give her money and then get a cab putting there shopping in the boot of the cab

safe to amuse ill return to using the crescant crazy stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You'd swear this only happens in Limerick.....happens everywhere in the country, just ignore them if everyone did then this kinda thing would cease to exist..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Just ignore them. You shouldn't let minor things like that deter you from going into town...or anywhere for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Was just asked for money from a guy who made sure I knew he was just out of prison and needed money to go see his woman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

3 daughters, 2 sons and a wife with big shopping habit ensures I get asked for money a hundred times a day :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Faing wrote: »
    3 daughters, 2 sons and a wife with big shopping habit ensures I get asked for money a hundred times a day :-)

Here, you couldn't spare a few quid for a bus out to Ennis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Has happened to me in Cork & Dublin. I also seem to attract Hari Krishnas.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

safe to amuse ill return to using the crescant crazy stuff[/QUOTE]

Jaysus, your a sensitive soul :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 xfireblade

crazy stuff alright
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

tajd wrote: »
    so i usually go the crescent for everything i need as it handy its indoors alot of stores etc , for a change i decided to head into down

just finished with dunnes stores getting into lift

(your right it does smell in there) wont be returning there

a woman came out of there i guess he was only 21 or 22 blonde hair hardly anything on her said she lost there purse and need to get home and asked for fare for the bus

fair enough i said i get it to her suddenly the bus fare changed from that to wanting 20 euro for a taxi

ah here i said turned around kept walking

i got from one side of dunnes to the other side waiting for the wind to stop , it was very strong next to be was two people with a trolley full of shopping around 30-40 looked rough

so im guessing his wife said to me could she have money to get a cab home in my head i swore and rolled my eyes and just left

at the bus stop literally around the corner while waiting for the bus i see the same woman approach an old woman and i saw the old woman give her money and then get a cab putting there shopping in the boot of the cab

safe to amuse ill return to using the crescant crazy stuff

In fairness now there's a lot worse then can happen to you than that and while the Crescent is the job you can't beat the heart and character of the city centre.Truth be told i would feel safer in Limerick than i would in more than quite a few other parts of Ireland.If you think your experience was intimidating then you should see some of the aggressive and intimidating begging by drug addicts that goes on in certain parts of Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

In fairness now there's a lot worse then can happen to you than that and while the Crescent is the job you can't beat the heart and character of the city centre.Truth be told i would feel safer in Limerick than i would in more than quite a few other parts of Ireland.If you think your experience was intimidating then you should see some of the aggressive and intimidating begging by drug addicts that goes on in certain parts of Dublin city centre.
    Between beggars, charity collectors and people looking for "bus fares" you'd have a hard time walking from patrick street to o'connell avenue without getting stopped once.

I was once asked for money so the guy could get a bus to hospital to visit his dying brother.

This spanish guy asked me for bus fare, I thought he was legit and handed over a couple of euros. Then a few weeks later he approached me with exactly the same story.

I'd actually be more likely to hand over cash if they were honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... without getting stopped once...

I've never been stopped. Harassed yes. It's up to you if you care to stop. Just be streetwise. Cities attract chancers - there is no point if you are a chancer in wandering around rural laneways, is there!

Being in a city always means having to run a gauntlet of these types, regardless of whether its big like NY or small like Waterford. I find the Crescent horrifyingly sterile and soulless for all its convenience and free parking. The city centre has character and reassuring familiarity to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It is also worth mentioning that begging at or near specific locations (ATMs, night safes and shops) is illegal.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0202/297272-begging/

Where someone is begging and you feel intimidated or harassed that person may be breaking the law. In this case, they probably are not.

If you feel under pressure, just say no thanks I'm broke and walk away. The minute they grab you, that's a different story.

Personally, I would prefer to shop in town. If begging was rife, (and I'm practically broke), it certainly would encourage me to shop in the Crescent/Ennis.

Advertisement