Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failed higher level maths

Options
  • 19-03-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I got 34% in higher level maths in mocks. Started grinds last week. Would it be better do you think to drop to pass level now. I know the course is a bit different. Worried sick I will not pass higher level in Leaving Cert. Teacher thinks I should be able to. But is it a huge gamble. Got 465 points overall in mocks. Wanted to do science in UCD but it was 505 points last year and is likely to go up.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It really depends on how you lost your marks.
    If you left out questions or parts of questions and know now where you went wrong, then yes you could pass.
    If you tried the required number of questions and just made a bags of them and still don't know where you went wrong, then I'd be less hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

I would stick with higher maths.

First, for science in UCD you either need D3 in higher maths or a B3 in ordinary maths. It might not be certain you will get 70% on a course you will only be starting this week.

Second, you need the 25 bonus points. A D3 on higher maths is still 10 points more than an A1 on ordinary maths.

Third, the well known maths teacher (john brennan i think) in recent years on 2fm radio exam slot always said it was the case (more than likely still is) that a pass in leaving cert maths was 38% not 40%.

Fourth, you have extra time and new grinds on your side. With consistent work you can easily get a pass. There was an article about last years exam that the marking was such that even if you got nothing right you would get something like 47%. Check it out on the marking scheme and add up all the attempt marks.

That's the key - attempt absolutely everything, no matter how stupid you think it is. The person reading it is never going to meet you.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MathsMedMixed

Consistent work will help you. Identify the areas you did badly in and tackle them head on. There is time. Don't drop to ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 student18

I am doing the grinds course in John Brennan's class in Dundrum. Prob was teacher told me I started questions wrong and therefore couldn't get the attempt marks. Don't know what to do :(. We'll I am off to do some revision now

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

Well John Brennan knows the course backwards so I'd be really confident with him by my side. Are they all sciencey courses on your CAO? If you're still nervous about failing maths in a few weeks, put down a course low down on your CAO in UCD or other college that you don't need a pass in maths for. Cover as many options as you can.

Also, there are some colleges that have supplemental maths exams for students who don't make the grade in the leaving cert. The ones I have heard of are for engineering but there may be ones for other courses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement