Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish orals for external candidate

Options
  • 19-03-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi folks, I'm repeating my Irish leaving cert as an external 28 year old student.
    Iv been told the Irish orals are being held in my area between the 31st March and 4th of April but I have no specific date for my oral yet, I've rang the Oral office a few times and they keep telling me my examiner will be in touch and they cant give any details!! Getting a wee bit anxious at this stage, need to book days off work and would love to know with 2 weeks to go where I stand, anybody else in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Go into your local school and ask them, they should know the exact date by now. I'm assuming you're doing it in the school along with the Leaving Cert students?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The examiner will more than likely send out all their letters to schools and external candidates at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 charmedxox

yeah have to do it in the local school, they just said to wait for the examiner to contact me. The orals office told me last week to contact them if I hadn't heard anything by YESTERDAY BUT THE LADY I SPOKE WITH TODAY TOLD ME TO CONTACT THEM IF I HADNT HEARD ANYTHING BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK!!which WOULD LEAVE ME WITH A FEW DAYS NOTICE! not COOL :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

You could find out what order they will be doing the orals in the school. Will it be all alphabethical based on surname or will externals be in a different slot to school based pupils? They might do externals first or last. They might have different levels in different slots. Still doesn't pin down a day for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lyno9235

Hi charmedxox,

I am an Oral Irish Examiner. Usually examiners should be sending out their letters by now but some can be slow!

My advice to you would be to go to the local school and ask them if it would be possible for you to do your oral on a particular day and time, eg Thurs first thing in the morning, due to work commitments.

If the school informs the examiner of this when they arrive on Monday there will be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 charmedxox

Great thanks a million, will give the school a buzz after work. Would just be nice to have a day now because I'm getting a little stressed out . Any tips ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lyno9235

I'm afraid I have no tips as basically examiners have carte Blanche to ask whatever they want. The conversation will usually go in the direction you want to if you are wise in how you steer it!

My only tip would be to try and bring up more difficult material yourself as opposed to waiting to be asked.
    Very often students prepare so much material and can often be disappointed when they don't get a chance to 'show it off'. For example try to bring up about social problems eg recession and emigration yourself. You could then show your knowledge of the MC by saying what you would do if you were the Taoiseach / minister for something or other.

Have a lot of prep done on your present field of work and why you want to change (I'm presuming you want to do further studies). Also what the new course entails and why you think you would be suitable for it/future career.

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask :)

Advertisement