Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn mower pull starter / recoil problem

Options
  • 18-03-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Hope it's ok to post this query here. Have searched and didn't find anything similar on the forum so either the question isn't allowed to be asked or it hasn't been encountered by anyone on here yet :eek: Hopefully it just hasn't been asked (mods - move if needs be, thanks!)

So, the story is - first cut of the grass yesterday. I have a Mountfield petrol mower. It's a few years old at this stage and its pull cord was frayed.

It started ok - after a couple of heavy pulls - normal first start in springtime kina sluggishness. It stopped in quite heavy grass (highest setting). Pull again. This time, Snap, but mower started anyway. I kept it going but it got choked even at the higest cutting setting and it stopped. The cord basically pulled off the mower in my hand.

Anyhow, today I got a replacement cord and handle which was also needed. Took the starter unit off the mower. Removed remnants of the old cord and attached the new one, wound it, replaced things as they were - to which the first pull didnt recoil back into the starter unit.

Bummer.

So, I took it apart again and took the cord/recoil until out and disassembled.

Here is what it looks like when i lift it out of the unit.

Image #1
    2h58nr6.jpg

What it sits into looks like this:

Image #2
    k3166u.jpg

The center piece (#2) has a slot in it which as far as my research has gone I gather should take the end of the recoil spring (visible in image #1).

Now, if it is to take it, then here is the problem - Getting the recoil spring aligned with the slot in the center piece. From other instructional youtubes the suggestion is to reseat the spring unit (#1) into the receiver (#2) and wind until you hear a click and/or the unit starts to show tension and, well..... recoils as might be expected...

No matter how I manipulate it when it is reinserted into the receiver I don't appear to be able to get it to take hold in the slot.

Now, also - other recoil springs which i've found for lawn mowers on the internet all appear to be straightforward coils whereas the one in image #1 above is kinda twisted or figure of 8 shaped. So, is the recoil spring supposed to look like that or is the spring wrecked and in need of replacement?

If the recoil spring is ok, have you any tips or ways to get the spring and receiver aligned and clicked into place? There are no particular markings to guide me :confused:

Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to post this query here. Have searched and didn't find anything similar on the forum so either the question isn't allowed to be asked or it hasn't been encountered by anyone on here yet :eek: Hopefully it just hasn't been asked (mods - move if needs be, thanks!)

So, the story is - first cut of the grass yesterday. I have a Mountfield petrol mower. It's a few years old at this stage and its pull cord was frayed.

It started ok - after a couple of heavy pulls - normal first start in springtime kina sluggishness. It stopped in quite heavy grass (highest setting). Pull again. This time, Snap, but mower started anyway. I kept it going but it got choked even at the higest cutting setting and it stopped. The cord basically pulled off the mower in my hand.

Anyhow, today I got a replacement cord and handle which was also needed. Took the starter unit off the mower. Removed remnants of the old cord and attached the new one, wound it, replaced things as they were - to which the first pull didnt recoil back into the starter unit.

Bummer.

So, I took it apart again and took the cord/recoil until out and disassembled.

Here is what it looks like when i lift it out of the unit.

Image #1
    2h58nr6.jpg

What it sits into looks like this:

Image #2
    k3166u.jpg

The center piece (#2) has a slot in it which as far as my research has gone I gather should take the end of the recoil spring (visible in image #1).

Now, if it is to take it, then here is the problem - Getting the recoil spring aligned with the slot in the center piece. From other instructional youtubes the suggestion is to reseat the spring unit (#1) into the receiver (#2) and wind until you hear a click and/or the unit starts to show tension and, well..... recoils as might be expected...

No matter how I manipulate it when it is reinserted into the receiver I don't appear to be able to get it to take hold in the slot.

Now, also - other recoil springs which i've found for lawn mowers on the internet all appear to be straightforward coils whereas the one in image #1 above is kinda twisted or figure of 8 shaped. So, is the recoil spring supposed to look like that or is the spring wrecked and in need of replacement?

If the recoil spring is ok, have you any tips or ways to get the spring and receiver aligned and clicked into place? There are no particular markings to guide me :confused:

Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks.

Your recoil spring is fecked. Take it to your local lawnmower shop and they will be able to fit a new one for you, shouldn't be that costly as you have done the hard work for him already. Can be tricky to fit a spring if you haven't done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I second that - I've been that soldier (but with a much less common make of mower!) and ended up just sourcing a new recoil unit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

You are showing a picture of a loose recoil spring. the spring could pop out and take your eve out or rip a scar in your face. Please work safely.

Advertisement