Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotavirus

Options
  • 18-03-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a problem with the rotavirus in dairy calves this year and if ye do what treatment do ye find best as the cows are not vaccinated for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Henwin wrote: »
    Has anyone got a problem with the rotavirus in dairy calves this year and if ye do what treatment do ye find best as the cows are not vaccinated for it.

Rotavec vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

cheers but what treatment is best for the calves if they already have d virus

cheers but what treatment is best for the calves if they already have d virus

TLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Have you had a diagnosis?

A storm off diarrhea went through our calves in the first days of March. I tool some samples and brought to the vet for testing. All pos for Crypto so started a course of Halicur. Within 2 days calves stared to recover.

Why this story?
    The three samples were sent to the lab and 1 week later results showed no Crypto but pos Roto. Now I don't know who's correct but the calves are flying.

To the best if my knowledge there is nothing short of vaccinating the cows for Rota. It is too late now as all you cows should be too close to calving. As Sheeba said TLC, treat ye symptoms. I would start a 1 week course of Halicur, 8mls per calf per day for 7 days. This at least will help, it helped me. All you can do is treat the symptoms AFAIK.

Pm Greysides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

12ml per day for3 days works as good as the 8mo for 7 days and saves you some money

• Advertisement

biddy2013 wrote: »
    12ml per day for3 days works as good as the 8mo for 7 days and saves you some money

If you do all calves from day one. In an outbreak you need the week. I stopped after 4 days but had to resume as calves went back. Will do12 for 3 days on all calves from next Autumn

Is rotavec vaccine difficult to get hold of in Ireland?
    I was lucky to get my hands on 200 doses, but it's not enough. This problem is on going for nearly two years. I'm constantly searching for it.

sheebadog wrote: »
    Is rotavec vaccine difficult to get hold of in Ireland?
    I was lucky to get my hands on 200 doses, but it's not enough. This problem is on going for nearly two years. I'm constantly searching for it.
    No prob, you could take some back with you next week

I just ask the vet to keep x amount for me

clean out, powerwash and disenfect sheds between batches, i use interkokask disenfectant

• Advertisement

No prob, you could take some back with you next week

I'm not going to land myself in that kind of trouble again!!
    This time last year I got 500 doses and hopped on the plane in Dublin. No bother.
    Landed in CDG major problem!
    I had the vaccine in a cooler bag with that ice block thingy. They had a canary!!
    It seems that you need a licence and I was damn lucky to escape a hefty fine.

Also all labelling must be in French. I found out as well that there are different zones within the EU for chemicals and medicines.
    It was 24 hours later before I got out of Paris.

Advertisement