Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lime on silage ground

Options
  • 18-03-2014 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Is it too late to apply lime on silage ground? There's very little cover as the sheep were in there most of the winter.

But I read that you're not supposed to put lime on ground that's going for silage...

Should I leave til after silage is cut? Or am I early enough?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Hello,

Is it too late to apply lime on silage ground? There's very little cover as the sheep were in there most of the winter.

But I read that you're not supposed to put lime on ground that's going for silage...

Should I leave til after silage is cut? Or am I early enough?

Thanks.

Gran lime or ground lime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

towzer2010 wrote: »

Ground lime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Leaflet from McGraths I happened to pick up today says in relation to silage:

"Make sure no lime dust comes in contact with silage sward. It interferes with silage fermentation."

It also says about the best time to spread lime is:

"After tight grazing, or after silage".

You might give your supplier a ring to get further clarification?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Leaflet from McGraths I happened to pick up today says in relation to silage:

"Make sure no lime dust comes in contact with silage sward. It interferes with silage fermentation."

It also says about the best time to spread lime is:

"After tight grazing, or after silage".

You might give your supplier a ring to get further clarification?

six months between lime and silage if at all possible they say. Fermentation the problem seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hmm, I might put it off so, if there is a chance it could affect the silage fermentation....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Hmm, I might put it off so, if there is a chance it could affect the silage fermentation....

Get it confirmed first! The best time to put out lime is yesterday ;) Sooner out, sooner it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wool521

Can gran lime be spread on silage ground

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

i spread lime on silage ground two months before cutting last year, had no difficulty ensiling, cattle found it very palatable,

however the first cut silage that got slurry last year ended up like pure muck and the ground that just got artificials for silage did sialge test very well = 78dmd and it was even slightly stemmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

I spread gran lime on all the silage ground today. It will be grazed over the next few days. Do it most years, never had an issue before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

maxxuumman wrote: »
    I spread gran lime on all the silage ground today. It will be grazed over the next few days. Do it most years, never had an issue before.
    Same as that. Never a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Same as that. Never a problem.

Gran lime no issue. It ground lime which needs the time lag

Advertisement