Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fert application and timing

Options
  • 18-03-2014 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

I see most people blanket spread the entire farm with a bag of urea this time of year, or when conditions first allow, however my advisor is a big believer in following the cows unless its a paddock which won't be grazed until the N is used by the plant, as the excess protein in the grass due to the N not being used up can cause the cow to use up energy trying to digest it and and due the possibility of embryo mortality considering we are a split aut/ spring herd.
    What do lads on here do, particularly those calving in the autumn. I'll have the minimum calving before xmas just enough to fill the winter supply so would prefer not to risk embryo mortality and end up short a couple of cows for winter supply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Cant comment on the embryo mortality as i wouldn't have a clue but i think blanket spreading the first round is a better plan, after that i dont really know.

Now my thinking behind it is that if your on a 3 week rotation, even if your in the paddock behind the cows your looking at a week to week and a half depending on conditions(could easily be longer at this time of year) before the nitrogen has fully broken down and gotten through to the plant, therefore your loosing out on that week-week and half growth.

After the first round in theory there should be some nitrogen reserves within the plant to keep it growing whilst the next round of fert is making its way down from the surface and into the plant.

Now thats just my thinking but i could be completely wrong..

Advertisement