Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's day parades and advertising

Options
  • 18-03-2014 4:10pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I was at the Skerries parade yesterday. It was all going very nicely until some local businesses started parading their delivery trucks along.

There was nothing from a few of them except a delivery truck. NOTHING. Like I quite like the ones that are cars dressed up as dogs, or where there's a magic carpet up the front or whatever followed by a delivery truck. Grand. At least some effort is made there.

If you're one of those businesses that did nothing but advertise - I wont be buying from you. It's a parade, not an advertising medium.

Did that bug anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I missed that as we had to pick up the kids from the tai kwan do group when they finished parading through.

I know what you are saying about the lack of effort, however, the parade probably wouldn't happen without their sponsorship.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

the parade probably wouldn't happen without their sponsorship.

Tell me more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Business's pay to have their business's advertised in the parade, ie their truck/van, lorry with a big advertising sign is allowed in.
    I'm in Galway and I saw it happen in Oranmore yesterday.Really sad when there's nearly more advertising floats than ones with a bit of creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

There was a real lack of performers yesterday IMO compared to previous years in the Skerries parade. Very little live music. No Irish dancing or Orla Hopkins dance studio. Gymnastics were good, but small number. I actually left about 2/3 way through. Never thought I'd say that. To be fair I think they should offer free entry to performers/musicians, or some other encouragement. A few others have commented to me in the same vein, so I don't think I am alone in my thoughts. In previous years I was generally involved, hence never noticed it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Khannie wrote: »
    Tell me more.....
    It is just a thought. Maybe check with the Skerries Chamber of Commerce. I can ask one of the lads who is involved next time I'm home & get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Larianne wrote: »
    Business's pay to have their business's advertised in the parade, ie their truck/van, lorry with a big advertising sign is allowed in.
    I'm in Galway and I saw it happen in Oranmore yesterday.Really sad when there's nearly more advertising floats than ones with a bit of creativity.

I actually don't mind a bit of advertising. The thing that annoyed me was the companies with vans and nothing else. Have a van, grand. Just put a float in too. I don't want to see you driving your van down the road, beeping your horn. Neither do my kids.

Advertisement