Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Companies in the greater Limerick area

Options
  • 18-03-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

I'm thinking about moving to the greater Limerick area because of a great job opportunity for my gf and got thinking about possibilities for me.

I'm a java software engineer with more then 5 years experience.
    Now, I'm looking for companies in the area and I've found a couple but I'm not sure if that is all or if there is more and I can't find them. Can you help me to put together a list?
    I have the following on my list so far:
    - Dell
    - Intel (in shannon)
    - Tango Telecom
    - Firecrest

Everything else is in Cork or Galway and I don't think that I'll communte to those places...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Highlights the types of jobs not being created in the midwest. While there are certain types of jobs being created in Limerick, more often than not, it's going to be in Cork and Galway once it's outside of Dublin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There are a few in Shannon. Buffalo Tech are out there.

Vodafone have a call centre for businesses in Limerick. So do O2.

There are a few IT companies out in Raheen (Ripplecom).

Majority are support/help desk, rather than software engineering.

Microsemi are in Ennis.

There are a few web hosting/design companies in Limerick.

That's all that comes to mind right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ligind

As far as I am aware there is java development in the each of the following companies:

Tecnotree in Shannon
    ACI in Plassey/Castletroy
    Martin Dawes Systems in the City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

There are a bunch of software companies in Plassey with smaller offices from Shannon Development.

Keep and eye on job posting websites, positions open up fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Avoid Dell...its just a matter of time before it closes the Limerick branch. There's been more redundancies there this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

UPC have some developers. Java/Web development. They're hiring at the moment as well. It's a small IT dept so not like working for a large software house it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lukair

Thanks for all the answers, it helps a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Blazer wrote: »
    Avoid Dell...its just a matter of time before it closes the Limerick branch. There's been more redundancies there this year.

D'ya reckon? I haven't a clue to be honest but know someone going for an interview there soon, so just curious. I do know there are voluntary redundancies going on there recently but though it depended on department, job etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Fairly stupid comment. Large multinationals regularly have rounds of redundancy offers. In the current environment if I was given the choice between a job with an SME or a renowned Multinational I know which one I'd be going for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

vkid wrote: »
    D'ya reckon? I haven't a clue to be honest but know someone going for an interview there soon, so just curious. I do know there are voluntary redundancies going on there recently but though it depended on department, job etc

The job reductions are worldwide. Limerick has suffered no more than any other dell facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Tut tut Jay.... don't be bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Fairly stupid comment. Large multinationals regularly have rounds of redundancy offers. In the current environment if I was given the choice between a job with an SME or a renowned Multinational I know which one I'd be going for.

if ya knew the fella you would understand he is the living embodiment of an internet troll, dont mind him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

vkid wrote: »

they should certainly go for that interview. they may be pleasantly surprised by what they see inside, a lot has changed on that site over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Possibly worth looking at idea bubble, my girlfriend done work experience there and spoke about a large staff turnover and how busy they were.

The staff turnover may be worrying but she said it was mostly because some people simply didnt like the work when they were there

Advertisement