Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for job as principal

Options
  • 18-03-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

The position of principal has recently become available in my school. The general consensus seems to be that all of the more senior staff (or which I would be one) ought to apply for the position for the interview experience as much as anything else. I was just wondering what people's opinions on this are.

From my own point of view, I don't think there's any chance I'd actually get the job nor would I want to take it if it was offered to me. I like teaching. I like being in front of a class. I don't like sitting in an office, answering phones and pushing papers. Being principal has no attraction to me right now.

That being said, if a position as year head/assistant principal came up, I would be interested in that so I'm a little worried that if I don't apply it could potentially hurt my chances if/when those posts come up.

I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this. Should I bother applying for principal knowing that I don't want to get it (even if that chance of that happening is remote)? Is the interview experience so important? Is it important to show interest in order to improve my chances of getting 'lesser' positions in the future?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭prancer

RealJohn wrote: »
    The position of principal has recently become available in my school. The general consensus seems to be that all of the more senior staff (or which I would be one) ought to apply for the position for the interview experience as much as anything else. I was just wondering what people's opinions on this are.

From my own point of view, I don't think there's any chance I'd actually get the job nor would I want to take it if it was offered to me. I like teaching. I like being in front of a class. I don't like sitting in an office, answering phones and pushing papers. Being principal has no attraction to me right now.

That being said, if a position as year head/assistant principal came up, I would be interested in that so I'm a little worried that if I don't apply it could potentially hurt my chances if/when those posts come up.

I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this. Should I bother applying for principal knowing that I don't want to get it (even if that chance of that happening is remote)? Is the interview experience so important? Is it important to show interest in order to improve my chances of getting 'lesser' positions in the future?

If you're not in, you can't win! ;) Go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

prancer wrote: »
    If you're not in, you can't win! ;) Go for it!!
    I don't actually want to win (this one) though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭prancer

Go for the experience and see what its like. If you're not seen to go for things then they will think you aren't interested. Same with any job i suppose with in house promotion. Just be seen to apply and whatever happens will only benefit you in the long run!

Always be seen to apply anyways would be my advice :) Fair play to ya!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have a friend who applied for Principal posts as she was really interested in working as a DP in her own school. She got Principal elsewhere, which she accepted and it all worked out fine, but she originally had no intention of moving school and was just doing the interview for practice.

You'll have an idea yourself once you see who's going for it what your chances are, but people do a lot of talking and often on the day of interview they pull out, so be aware your chances might be better than you think.

I wouldn't be fond of a Principalship myself, but some people it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I would be very cautious if I were you. Number 1 is do you WANT the job. Forget the idea of having the job or everyone will look up to you because by day 2, its into the trenches with mud flying from all sides. Now if that's what you want, then welcome to the club but by applying for it, you are saying you want it. and if you get it and don't take it, then AP interviews in the future may look strange. You can get practice interviews off plenty of people for free without the need to apply for this job.

P and DP are definitely jobs you need to realise are a big change and you should reflect if you actually want it. Oh, and I wish it was just pushing paper some days.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    I would be very cautious if I were you. Number 1 is do you WANT the job. Forget the idea of having the job or everyone will look up to you because by day 2, its into the trenches with mud flying from all sides. Now if that's what you want, then welcome to the club but by applying for it, you are saying you want it. and if you get it and don't take it, then AP interviews in the future may look strange. You can get practice interviews off plenty of people for free without the need to apply for this job.

P and DP are definitely jobs you need to realise are a big change and you should reflect if you actually want it. Oh, and I wish it was just pushing paper some days.
    Thanks Driver. I was hoping you'd have your say to be honest (and I didn't want to imply that paper pushing was all that was involved). The thing is that I don't want the job and being honest, I think that there's very little chance I'll get it. My concern is that not applying might be seen as showing disinterest when it comes to jobs I actually do want in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I know what you mean by 'everyone being encouraged to apply'. I've come across that statement before and I sometimes wonder why it's thrown out because in all reality if your the type that would want to be principal,then your the type that wouldn't be humming and hawing about going for it and wouldn;t be needing encouragement to go for it.

Could it be that the school wants to make it look like a 'fair' process given that so many apply...Say just one 'in-houser' applies a long with the other externals (who the staff won;t know about)... If the 'in-houser' gets it then rumors could start that the job was always theirs anyway... If a group of 'in-housers' apply (along with all the externals) then it lessens possibility of folk saying that the job was 'spoken for'. Anyone ever heard of this..

I'd say OP if you don;t want it then don;t go for it... I'd say an interview for principal would be a whole different ball-game than an interview for a year head or AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The interview for DP and P is indeed a lot lot different than that for a post or indeed a teaching role and it requires a lot of preparation and diligence and advice. Having said that, they can be fun to do if it doesn't bother you but you must spend a lot of time getting your application form ready and you ultimately need the help of a P or DP to get it in the right direction.

I wouldn't be worried about the disinterest sign, a post is a whole different ballgame to P/DP.

Thanks for the replies guys. Your opinions are appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Could it be that the school wants to make it look like a 'fair' process given that so many apply...Say just one 'in-houser' applies a long with the other externals (who the staff won;t know about)... If the 'in-houser' gets it then rumors could start that the job was always theirs anyway... If a group of 'in-housers' apply (along with all the externals) then it lessens possibility of folk saying that the job was 'spoken for'. Anyone ever heard of this..

This was the scenario in my friend's school.The Chair of the BOM actually came into the staffroom and told all the staff to 'dust down their cvs' and apply for the job.....................only for it to be fixed by same mother superior who just wanted to make things seem 'above board'.A candidate that lost out wrote to same mother superior who hides behind a habit ,when it suits,and has yet to get a reply to the questions posed one year after the shenanigans.The exact same thing happened over the road by another religious order.....................is it any wonder Red Ruairí treats them with disdain.They are the most corrupt establishments in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

ethical wrote: »

This was the scenario in my friend's school.The Chair of the BOM actually came into the staffroom and told all the staff to 'dust down their cvs' and apply for the job.....................only for it to be fixed by same mother superior who just wanted to make things seem 'above board'.A candidate that lost out wrote to same mother superior who hides behind a habit ,when it suits,and has yet to get a reply to the questions posed one year after the shenanigans.The exact same thing happened over the road by another religious order.....................is it any wonder Red Ruairí treats them with disdain.They are the most corrupt establishments in the country!

Oh listen "Red Ruari" treats everyone with disdain so I really wouldn't be setting any store by the likes of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 imablueberry

Hi Driver,
    Maybe you are still using this site.
    I have found that there is going to be a principalship in a two teacher school about 30 minutes away from my home. I am currently teaching in a different school which is very big. I am thinking of applying for the position above but am wondering if you have any ideas of the types of questions I may be asked at the jnterview? I must add I haven't completed a master's. Do you think I would be wasting my time aoplying?
    Finally

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

I am currently completing a 3 night course run by an Education Centre in the area of leadership (prep for AP1 and AP2 jobs) and the instructor said, you need to have a Masters in Leadership and Management to be in the running for P or DP.
    Often its not in the spec but it helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I am currently completing a 3 night course run by an Education Centre in the area of leadership (prep for AP1 and AP2 jobs) and the instructor said, you need to have a Masters in Leadership and Management to be in the running for P or DP.
    Often its not in the spec but it helps.

Have heard this before but it doesn't happen. Of course a person running the course would say it's vital! We've had many promotions with no qualification and I've heard the same in other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

In schools where there is likely to be huge demand for a DP jobs I’ve heard of the shortlisting criteria being that the person must have a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

dory wrote: »
    Have heard this before but it doesn't happen. Of course a person running the course would say it's vital! We've had many promotions with no qualification and I've heard the same in other schools.

And there are also a cohort who have that masters and couldn't run a bake sale yet are allowed run a school.

I would say useful but not absolutely vital.

Advertisement