Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am struggling, HELP!

Options
  • 18-03-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Guys, looking for a little help here. I am training at the moment for a cycle against suicide from Dundalk to Dublin in May and also for the Ring of Kerry. My problem is that I am only 10 Stone (62KG-63KG) so I am quite skinny and dont have alot of natural padding :). My ass is killing me on medium journeys nevermind a long journey.

What can I do to help with the pain, I have been off the saddle for the past few months so I know I will build up my tolerance again but any tips would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

logik wrote: »
    Guys, looking for a little help here. I am training at the moment for a cycle against suicide from Dundalk to Dublin in May and also for the Ring of Kerry. My problem is that I am only 10 Stone (62KG-63KG) so I am quite skinny and dont have alot of natural padding :). My ass is killing me on medium journeys nevermind a long journey.

What can I do to help with the pain, I have been off the saddle for the past few months so I know I will build up my tolerance again but any tips would be great.

1. Get the right saddle that suits you (this is the important bit).
    2. Position it right.
    3. Get a good pair of shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Firstly, being that size will be of benefit to you, if not on the Dundalk to Dublin, absolutley on the Ring of the Kerry with the hills down there.
    Secondly, extra padding can be a blessing, if you know someone with good needle skills, ask them to sew in an extra layer of padding, you will notice the difference.
    happy trails!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Firstly, being that size will be of benefit to you, if not on the Dundalk to Dublin, absolutley on the Ring of the Kerry with the hills down there.
    Secondly, extra padding can be a blessing, if you know someone with good needle skills, ask them to sew in an extra layer of padding, you will notice the difference.
    happy trails!

Thats actually a great idea, never thought of extra padding. Will get the missus to work on that for me :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You lucky lucky fecker! I will give you my arse if you want it! :D

What I found is that the cheaper cycling shorts were terrrible, those in Lidl/Aldi. I spent I think 55 quid on a pair after a few month and chamoise cream and that worked a treat.
    Enjoy the cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Saddle positioning is key - make sure that your sit bones can rest comfortably on the wings of the saddle - this might not happen if (for example) your saddle is too far back, or if the nose of it is elevated or dropped significantly with respect to the rear.

Padding + chamois cream are also a necessity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

As had been said if you don't have them get some decent shorts. Make sure they fit well they need to be fairly tight so the chamois can't move around.

I'm a similar weight and I have the opposite view on padding though I don't like a thick chamois and like a firm saddle. The most important bit is that you your weight is supported on the bones and you're not compressing the softer bits and restricting blood flow. You may have to try a few saddles to find one that suits a lot of people like Specialized.

Try and get out of the saddle now and again as well.

Some of it it just toughing it out and getting used to it though.

Thanks for all the tips. I am now also looking at the handlebar height as a contributing factor. I think my bars are too low and I think I may be stretching to reach the gear lever hoods (which is the position i favour 85% of the time). I am going to look into the saddle position tonight and also the handlebar position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Seweryn wrote: »
    1. Get the right saddle that suits you (this is the important bit).
    The saddle that suits you is probably the one you sit on for the longest.
    Some people keep changing saddles to find the 'right' one but never give their asses a chance to acclimatise to one.
    Buy good shorts and any half-decent saddle should do if you are not spending long hours on it. But it does take time.
    Oh yes, until you get used to it give your ass a break on the downhills from time to time by sitting on a thigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

please dont stitch in a second chamois into shorts as suggested. more padding is not good for long ride, you'll be just sitting on a sweaty cushion. just pay a bit for shorts if its needed but definitely as already said, position most important with saddle second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pprendeville

If u have an iPad bike fast fit is a good app to help you with your bike position.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

I Don't cycle over 100k at a time mostly between 40 and 80 but have never used cycling shorts or padding. Unless I have been off the bike for a few months it never gives me any pain. I have no answer for this just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I Don't cycle over 100k at a time mostly between 40 and 80 but have never used cycling shorts or padding. Unless I have been off the bike for a few months it never gives me any pain. I have no answer for this just throwing it out there.
    Your saddle fits you well and that makes all the difference. Saddle is a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

If a lot of your cycling is on rough roads (eg. tar and chip), maybe you could try wider tyres at lower pressure eg. 25 or 28 mm, or even 32 mm if you're on a hybrid. I find this helps hugely.
    Also, on the day of a long sportive such as the ROK, you could take a Neurofen Plus at halfway. Works a treat. I'll probably get banned now for giving medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

A Brooks saddle could help.. my arse was killing me with the modern plastic jobs, fitted a Brooks, much nicer....

Advertisement