Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best udder ointment

Options
  • 18-03-2014 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭

Have two cows were there teats are rubbing off there legs where they walk and are always chapped and sore.
    Last year they were the same and I was using ointment after every milk in and it kept them in good condition.
    Not working this year at all. Have switched to that golden udder stuff and its no better.
    Any good creams out there?
    Is putting gylcerine in the teat spray any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Have two cows were there teats are rubbing off there legs where they walk and are always chapped and sore.
    Last year they were the same and I was using ointment after every milk in and it kept them in good condition.
    Not working this year at all. Have switched to that golden udder stuff and its no better.

We find cheno is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

We find cheno is good.

Quare name but great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

we use a green cream in a white tub thought it was called dermogel but will have a look when i go back out

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

We find cheno is good.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Cheno is great stuff.

we also used to get 1 liter tubs of good old petroleum jelly from the chemist. cheep as chips but did a good job. used to put it on every cow after milking over the winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

I use udder comfort from Greg care
    Much better than cheno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Add glycerine to the iodine teat dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

sheebadog wrote: »

Silk dip has glycerine in it. Find it a great post dip. The coops are trying to move us away from iodine based dip. I tried Deosan foam this spring. 3 cases of mastitis. Never has a situation of mastitis spreading like that before. Went back to Silksip and SCC has dropped to 130 and teat condition very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Don't use iodine. Using virolac. Latest SCC 68.
    How much glycerin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

How much glycerin?

Damn good scc Gg1

That's one of the upsides of xbreds

I'd have to root out my old "magic" mix. I now purchase dip premixed

• Advertisement

Damn good scc Gg1

That's one of the upsides of xbreds

I'd have to root out my old "magic" mix. I now purchase dip premixed

A lot of fr milking now tbh. Maybe 2/3 of herd fr now

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

I use vaccidine from Osmonds clears up sores very fast and terrific for your own hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

Mulumpy wrote: »
    I use vaccidine from Osmonds clears up sores very fast and terrific for your own hands
    they have stopped making the small tub, you have to buy a bucket now which is a bummer

biddy2013 wrote: »
    they have stopped making the small tub, you have to buy a bucket now which is a bummer

Ya but tub was always better value

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Ya but tub was always better value
    i always found the big tub would go funny when left in the milking parlour

biddy2013 wrote: »
    i always found the big tub would go funny when left in the milking parlour

I just take a small piece out into a handy container and leave the tub in a dry shed

Said to my father that I was getting cheno.
    Went through me for a short cut. Said he used it yrs ago and it was only ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Said to my father that I was getting cheno.
    Went through me for a short cut. Said he used it yrs ago and it was only ****e

I use valiant post dip in the winter. Great stuff but expensive. Are these cows very old that their teats are hitting their legs?

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I use valiant post dip in the winter. Great stuff but expensive. Are these cows very old that their teats are hitting their legs?

5th lactation. Very good SCC though all the same. I'll put them in calf again if they go. One has teats that kick out and rub off her legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

5th lactation. Very good SCC though all the same. I'll put them in calf again if they go. One has teats that kick out and rub off her legs

Valiant is very good gives eight hours protection and generally can still see the remains of it the next milking. 130 for a drum that does 50 cows a month. Maybe you could get smaller amounts. Excellent for scc too as the only product I know that has to be activated like a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

How much glycerin?

Jezz I'm happy to be under the SCC limit at the second! Its on the to do list to improve, but not a luxury I have just yet to cull those cows, or hold high SCC milk etc.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Jezz I'm happy to be under the SCC limit at the second! Its on the to do list to improve, but not a luxury I have just yet to cull those cows, or hold high SCC milk etc.

Taken us 10 yrs Tim. Lots of hardship and loads of heifers. Can't do everything all at once. Plan now is to keep it there. Increase numbers and improve land and herd quality

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

A good support bra is what u need! Give them a lift.

Advertisement