Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out in IT, advice needed

Options
  • 18-03-2014 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Looking for some advice :). I recently completed a post graduate diploma in IT. I'm now looking to get my feet wet and start a career in IT.

I'm a bit confused regarding certs and that, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there in terms of which certs are valuable and which mean little or nothing.

Ideally I would like to get into the networking side of things but it seems to be a bit of a mystery as to how to get in to it :).

Firstly, is there a viable career in network engineering at this stage? If so what is the best way to get on that career path? I don't think I have seen a single entry level job anywhere.

At the minute I'm thinking help desk role, gain experience (hopefully with employer backing) pursue the relevant certs and in some years time (possibly 2-3) make the move to an entry level networking position. My concern is that I have seen others say that the help desk leads nowhere.

Would appreciate the benefit of others experience.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Ok , getting into IT in a support capacity there are 2 basic paths -

1) Networking - for this you will need to have a CCNA done , or a CCENT with proven desire to progress to CCNA. These are Cisco exams. CCNA is pretty much entry level these days. Starting salary is pretty poor (25 - 30K in Cork anyway). Without experience expect to work your way up from the (very) bottom.

2) Deskside / Helpdesk (commonly referred to as Helldesk). For this role Microsoft exams are what are looked for generally. Generally the more the merrier. Even with server exams done , unless you're in a server support role don't expect to be let loose on servers. Starting salary even lower than Networking ( I've seen as low as 22K , again in Cork). Comptia exams will help , but don't expect extra money for having done them.

At the moment in IT in Cork (as I live here its the only market I really know) its the race to the bottom. Often candidates are employed based on how little they will work for.I'm only saying this because I've seen it firsthand, and from the employer's side of the table. Exams are your way out , but don't be surprised if you have to move city to progress your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moys

Hi Horgan,

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the advice :).

One final question how would CompTIA network+ compare to a CCENT?

I'm reading the CompTIA network syllabus at the minute seems very straightforward. My plan was to get that then do the CCNA, would the CCENT be better as a starting point?

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Theres 2 ways to get the CCNA :

1) do 1 exam , seems to be the more popular route.
    2) spread across 2 exams , after the first exam you have a CCENT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

moys wrote: »
    My plan was to get that then do the CCNA, would the CCENT be better as a starting point?

Don't bother with the N+ if you're planning on getting the full CCNA.

CCENT is a better starting point if you're ultimately going for the CCNA as it will introduce you to the Cisco way of doing things right off the bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Don't bother with the N+ if you're planning on getting the full CCNA.

CCENT is a better starting point if you're ultimately going for the CCNA as it will introduce you to the Cisco way of doing things right off the bat.

I'd agree, despite the CCENT being more difficult I found it a better course.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Beware the career in networking!

There are very few networking jobs outside Cork or Dublin. Far more work in Microsoft support. Never a bad thing to ave a CCNA though.

Hi munkus,

I'm luckily (and happily) based in Dublin :). Do you work in networking yourself?

Sure do! Interesting job I must say, but you need to do serious study at the start to get an understanding of networks.

lol, not afraid of study at all :D.

At the minute I'm in the demystification stage and I'm really enjoying learning about the "black magic" that goes on in the background that most ppl don't even think about every time they use the web, check emails on their phone, etc...

So how did you get your start in networking, is there such a thing as an entry level networking position?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Some help desk roles are pure and utter muck. These are usually the 22k roles that are in offer. I wouldn't even call them a help desk role. Some of these you just answer phones and remote access PC's to add a printer or fix microsoft office or something alongs those lines. Pure and utter ****e.

Other help desk roles then are excellent where you exposed to tons of different technologies and are generally Level 1/Level 2 support. It generally sets you on your way to become a system administrator. You get expierence in things like troubleshooting Windows Server, Linux, SQL Server, Office365, Backups, Nagios with many other technologies as well.

If your new to I.T I think a helpdesk role with a good company might be the way to go and continue working on your certs.

E.G I can see this role is absolute ****e.

yawhat! wrote: »
    Some help desk roles are pure and utter muck. These are usually the 22k roles that are in offer. I wouldn't even call them a help desk role. Some of these you just answer phones and remote access PC's to add a printer or fix microsoft office or something alongs those lines. Pure and utter ****e.

Other help desk roles then are excellent where you exposed to tons of different technologies and are generally Level 1/Level 2 support. It generally sets you on your way to become a system administrator. You get expierence in things like troubleshooting Windows Server, Linux, SQL Server, Office365, Backups, Nagios with many other technologies as well.

If your new to I.T I think a helpdesk role with a good company might be the way to go and continue working on your certs.

E.G I can see this role is absolute ****e.

Jesus, what do ye lads expect? Everyone has to start at the bottom and work up. Helpdesk is where 90% of IT professionals cut their teeth and learn how to troubleshoot. I would never promote someone who had an issue with dealing with customers/staff from a helpdesk.

Normal path as I would see for graduates with a degree is a few yrs on desk and getting certification as they work away. Opportunity then might arise to get drafted into a network team or server admin etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Do helpdesk for 2 years max and then move on. The best way to move on is to have a couple of certs behind you.

munkus wrote: »
    Jesus, what do ye lads expect? Everyone has to start at the bottom and work up. Helpdesk is where 90% of IT professionals cut their teeth and learn how to troubleshoot. I would never promote someone who had an issue with dealing with customers/staff from a helpdesk.

Normal path as I would see for graduates with a degree is a few yrs on desk and getting certification as they work away. Opportunity then might arise to get drafted into a network team or server admin etc.

I worked in two separate help desks and currently work in one. One was pure and utter muck and left after three months and got very little exposure to anything except raising tickets, taking calls and remote accessing to fix things like printer issues, office issues, software installations etc. One I'm in now I'm getting exposure to parts of everything like managing backups, monitoring, Windows Server, SQL Server, Linux, ! Also paying for my MCSA so some helpdesk roles are pure and utter ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I worked in two separate help desks and currently work in one. One was pure and utter muck and left after three months and got very little exposure to anything except raising tickets, taking calls and remote accessing to fix things like printer issues, office issues, software installations etc. One I'm in now I'm getting exposure to parts of everything like managing backups, monitoring, Windows Server, SQL Server, Linux, ! Also paying for my MCSA so some helpdesk roles are pure and utter ****e!

Would you have been hired into your current position without being in the original one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

munkus wrote: »
    Beware the career in networking!

There are very few networking jobs outside Cork or Dublin. Far more work in Microsoft support. Never a bad thing to ave a CCNA though.

The market is ABSOLUTELY booming.

ifah wrote: »
    Would you have been hired into your current position without being in the original one ?

Good point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

what exactly did you expect to get? most help desk jobs are entry level...everything you named is exactly what a help desk job is...what were you expecting ? to go into a help desk job and to be instantly told to go sort out the server?

No offence to ya fella but you remind me of some of the lads that i was on my Network+ course with, expecting to be installing huge networks after just going through the basic theory of networking.... as another has said, we all need to start someplace, and in my opinion, getting the basic certifications out of the way first off and also getting a help desk entry level job is a great way to start. Just because you did not like the help desk role does not mean others wont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Calicon09

thanks for all ur suggestions and help

Advertisement