Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

homeless in dublin??

• 18-03-2014 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I think its nuts so little is being done for the homeless.. focus ireland and simon community arnt realy treating the problem just the symptom feeding and rehoming isnt helping. I was out in temple bar and there was a homeless person shaking with heroin withdrawals lying on the ground I felt so overcome with empathy for the poor guy I think there should be a system in place whereby these people get taken off the streets given top class drug rehabilitation and hospitilisation within a semi prison like environment with social workers and guidance councillors most importantly with an anti addiction drug therapy with as much sympathy and time they need.. I have no idea how plausibe this is but I do need to know why in modern days like these why such atrocities can occur with the rest of us blissfully unaware of the torment of a drug addict caught in a living hell

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Why do you assume they want 'help' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Narayan.kirk

Bandara wrote: »
    Why do you assume they want 'help' ?
    want help? Watch the junkie diaries on youtube but I know what you mean but wether they want help or not I think they should get it a better life awitz wether they know it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

want help? Watch the junkie diaries on youtube but I know what you mean but wether they want help or not I think they should get it a better life awitz wether they know it or not

There's your problem, and their's, right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Top class drug rehabilitation and hospitalization? While the people who actually contribute something to society make do with mediocre medical care?
    I have no sympathy for the junkies, they're a plague on society. There's very few homeless in Ireland who aren't homeless by choice, they may have mental issues, but I don't agree with locking up somebody against their will because they have mental issues, if they're not a danger to others, and want to roam the streets, let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tarica

I was in Dublin dare my self last week and walking from Huston station there was a guy there homeless I usually wouldn't stop I Wub be afraid cas you really don't no wat to expect if u did but I did he was harmless. So give him ten euro and told him gethimself something to eat he was. So thankfully the poor guy my heart went out to him.all kinds of people to fall into bad places and Not known was is goin to happen or wat the out comeis goin to be and I also think more,help sud be given more help to dem and to give dem some hope and light at the end of the tunnel we have all been dare at some stages of our life's but some of are luckly have people to help dem and some are unfortunate who don't so more,facilities sud be available to help them. Plz god there wil we ere all human begins and all God's children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

I think its nuts so little is being done for the homeless.. focus ireland and simon community arnt realy treating the problem just the symptom feeding and rehoming isnt helping. I was out in temple bar and there was a homeless person shaking with heroin withdrawals lying on the ground I felt so overcome with empathy for the poor guy I think there should be a system in place whereby these people get taken off the streets given top class drug rehabilitation and hospitilisation within a semi prison like environment with social workers and guidance councillors most importantly with an anti addiction drug therapy with as much sympathy and time they need.. I have no idea how plausibe this is but I do need to know why in modern days like these why such atrocities can occur with the rest of us blissfully unaware of the torment of a drug addict caught in a living hell

How do you figure that? Since when is it a crime to be homeless? Or have addiction problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Top class drug rehabilitation and hospitalization? While the people who actually contribute something to society make do with mediocre medical care?
    I have no sympathy for the junkies, they're a plague on society. There's very few homeless in Ireland who aren't homeless by choice, they may have mental issues, but I don't agree with locking up somebody against their will because they have mental issues, if they're not a danger to others, and want to roam the streets, let them.

What? Plague? By choice? I don't follow this, doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I fear you are confusing Homeless and Drug addicts as the same, not all Drug addicts are homeless and not all homeless are drug addicts, the drug addict will pretend to be homeless and beg on the streets, while the genuine homeless will suffer as a result, Drug addicts who beg, rob and steal deserve nothing from society, if you break into some ones home or mug to steal others property you should loose all rights to a normal society. Homeless people deserve every help that can be afforded to them, but the powers that be will never factor it into the next budget as they are not voters......all kinda very sad really.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Dublin City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You'd be surprised at how many people 'fall through the cracks'.

The biggest problem is that while there are social services in the form of social welfare, housing assistance, health care and all of that, the system tends to make itself very unfriendly to access.

Quite a few people I've encountered are totally unaware of what they should be able to get to get them on their feet. Some people are just not able to get it together to do all that stuff either because they're completely disorganised, suffering from very serious depression, learning disabilities, they might be illiterate, you get older people who are terrified of authority figures due to institutionalisation / possible abuse and all that kind of stuff.

You also get some people who are just way too proud to go in and apply for some of these things and end up sitting on the street for a few nights as a result and the next thing it spirals out of control and they're long-term homeless.

You get teens and young adults who've been thrown out of home for various reasons and don't have the funds or the experience or social network to get accommodation.

We really need a 'one-stop-shop' for homeless people where they can go and get everything sorted out and get their lives back together.

Then you've got the fact that the Dept of Social Protection can be incredibly slow at processing applications or can be unable to accept applications without an address. That's fine if you've parents to move in with or can sleep on someone's couch until things come back to normal, but if you've no network you're kinda screwed.

Also, because of the very serious drugs problem in shelters, a lot of people seem to be unwilling to use them.

An awful lot of it is down to bad organisation of services rather than lack of services.

Try being single, no family network, jobless and not having enough money to put down a deposit, get washed or dress yourself respectably and you'll find life's VERY VERY hard.

There's a LOT more to it than just drug addicts and I really think people spend a lot of time looking down their noses at homelessness. Remember, many of us are only 1 skipped pay cheque away from it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how many people 'fall through the cracks'.

The biggest problem is that while there are social services in the form of social welfare, housing assistance, health care and all of that, the system tends to make itself very unfriendly to access.

Quite a few people I've encountered are totally unaware of what they should be able to get to get them on their feet. Some people are just not able to get it together to do all that stuff either because they're completely disorganised, suffering from very serious depression, learning disabilities, they might be illiterate, you get older people who are terrified of authority figures due to institutionalisation / possible abuse and all that kind of stuff.

You also get some people who are just way too proud to go in and apply for some of these things and end up sitting on the street for a few nights as a result and the next thing it spirals out of control and they're long-term homeless.

You get teens and young adults who've been thrown out of home for various reasons and don't have the funds or the experience or social network to get accommodation.

We really need a 'one-stop-shop' for homeless people where they can go and get everything sorted out and get their lives back together.

Then you've got the fact that the Dept of Social Protection can be incredibly slow at processing applications or can be unable to accept applications without an address. That's fine if you've parents to move in with or can sleep on someone's couch until things come back to normal, but if you've no network you're kinda screwed.

Also, because of the very serious drugs problem in shelters, a lot of people seem to be unwilling to use them.

An awful lot of it is down to bad organisation of services rather than lack of services.

Try being single, no family network, jobless and not having enough money to put down a deposit, get washed or dress yourself respectably and you'll find life's VERY VERY hard.

There's a LOT more to it than just drug addicts and I really think people spend a lot of time looking down their noses at homelessness. Remember, many of us are only 1 skipped pay cheque away from it!

This is one of the most accurate, informative and reality based posts I have read on Boards.

Do you work in the area?? (I do), if you don't, please consider changing jobs:D

Advertisement