Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good fly line for trout

Options
  • 17-03-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi,anyone got any recommendations on a good 5wt trout line?Ill be using it mainly for medium sized rivers and a little bit of stillwater fishing.

Im a beginner and the amount of fly lines available puzzle me!So any help is very much appreciated.

PS,ive been using a cheap line since i took up fly fishing,one of those you get free with a rod and reel.It has no head or taper or anything,its just level and flimsy the whole way through.Will a properly designed line make much differnce to my ease of casting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

I have been looking for new line myself and have done a bit of research. This line got good reviews http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-gt90.html . I ordered it earlier this evening and got a personal email back 3hrs later saying it will be in the post tomorrow from the UK. total cost €33.50 inc post using PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I love the barrio lines and use several of them. I can highly recommend the SLX lines if anyone fancies something a bit different. The gt90 is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Thanks lads.i may go ahead with one of those lines,they seem better value than most lines ive seen in tackle shops around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Thanks lads.i may go ahead with one of those lines,they seem better value than most lines ive seen in tackle shops around here.

Airflow have become very big players in the line depts over last few years , 35-40 euro would get one of those clear ridge delta isn't bad or go to Rio and pay 70-80 for a great line . But if u had a reel that has spare spools I'd leave ur old one on for still waters especially if ur in a boat and ur good line on another spool for river work , tight lines and enjoy ur season .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

i use the hardy lines and they are good never had a problem with them really nice to cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Another vote for Barrio here. Have used Rio and Cortland in the past but reckon Barrio are as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

For a good quality budget line you can't go far wrong with the Airflo gear! Fantastic quality for a reasonable price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi,I Use a Rio Gold Fly Line it's not cheap (it works great with my Sage Zxl 4 weight Rod) I've never had a problem easy Line to cast with it shoots out line Good!!

Tight Lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

madred006 wrote: »
    Airflow have become very big players in the line depts over last few years , 35-40 euro would get one of those clear ridge delta isn't bad or go to Rio and pay 70-80 for a great line . But if u had a reel that has spare spools I'd leave ur old one on for still waters especially if ur in a boat and ur good line on another spool for river work , tight lines and enjoy ur season .

I have had problems with the airflo sinking lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Hi,I Use a Rio Gold Fly Line it's not cheap (it works great with my Sage Zxl 4 weight Rod) I've never had a problem easy Line to cast with it shoots out line Good!!

Tight Lines.

Rio gold is an excellent line. Have a 5 wt and it's my favourite line.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Thanks again for all the help lads.I picked up a Rio Gold yesterday,hopefully ill get to use it tomorrow.Thanks again

Advertisement