Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casting question

Options
  • 17-03-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I watch a fair bit of TV and am always aware of the casts etc... of any show I watch regularly. I always hit the trivia section IMDb on my phone for any new shows to find out interesting tidbits about it and whatnot. While I was watching a show there lately, pretty sure it was Damages, I headed into the trivia section and found out that William Hurt got the "coveted" AND listing on the show.

I'm now watching Criminal Minds and while Thomas Gibson got the "starring" credit for the first 2 seasons and 5 episodes, as soon as Joe Mantegna joined the cast he got the starring credit and Gibson was moved to the back of the list, given the AND credit.

While I understand that this may well be contractual as to why Mantegna got the starring credit, what is the significance of this, allegedly, coveted AND credit?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Generally the most important actor is listed first and the person with "AND" is seen to be the second biggest (generally the most recognisable name). It even works like that for supporting actor.
    I seem to recall the Alyson Hannigan when in Buffy was originally in the general cast listing but, after the American Pie series, got bumped to the "And Alyson Hannigan" at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Yeah, usually the main character or highest profile actor when a show starts goes first in actors credits. Depending on contracts signed the second highest profile actor may take a "WITH" or an "AND" credit that appears later in the credits but is considered higher-profile than coming second in rolling order of credits!

There is also an "ALSO STARRING" credit which usually precedes the above two credit positions!

Check out the story about Steve McQueen and Paul Newman and how they worked out the film poster credits for The Towering Inferno...

All this is done to appease egos, profiles and for the actor's benefit in future contract negotiations!

Advertisement