Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what protein for hefer dairy calf ration

Options
  • 17-03-2014 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

what protein calf ration are ye giving the calves. the stuff im using at the moment is 17% but was in dairygold last week and saw a bag of calf ration they had for sale as being advertised at 20%. would they make a lot better gains for this 20% one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

f140 wrote: »
    what protein calf ration are ye giving the calves. the stuff im using at the moment is 17% but was in dairygold last week and saw a bag of calf ration they had for sale as being advertised at 20%. would they make a lot better gains for this 20% one?

Protein is what u want to grow a good frame on a calf,I place more emphasis in this rather than small pudgy fat calves.which is what you'd get if feeding a low protein starchy ration.17 18% should be fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

would giving them the 20% do much extra for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

20% to 22% with me. When young stock are growing fast they need quite a lot of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Protein is what u want to grow a good frame on a calf,I place more emphasis in this rather than small pudgy fat calves.which is what you'd get if feeding a low protein starchy ration.17 18% should be fine

Mahoney local rep was telling me sucklermate is the job for young calves. What age do you put yours on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Mahoney local rep was telling me sucklermate is the job for young calves. What age do you put yours on to it.

From about 10 days old ,start mixing it through some calf ration from about a week old.tis some stuff.could of done with a bit of it myself on Sunday!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

mahoney_j wrote: »
    From about 10 days old ,start mixing it through some calf ration from about a week old.tis some stuff.could of done with a bit of it myself on Sunday!!!

Sound heard it was a late one

Advertisement