Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littering at races

Options
  • 17-03-2014 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Fair play to the Blarney rider who gave a guy a bollicking for throwing a jel wrapper on the road on his patch. When are the Commissars going to start fining guys for littering.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We had an earlier thread when it was explained the would be clamping down this year. Of course it remains down to the Commissaire's on the ground and whether they actually witness the littering. Castigating fellow racers in-race is a good move in my view - hopefully some will be shamed into stopping, or if Commissaires receive multiple reports about certain riders they may be more inclined to act even if they did not directly witness it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

fixie fox wrote: »
    Fair play to the Blarney rider who gave a guy a bollicking for throwing a jel wrapper on the road on his patch. When are the Commissars going to start fining guys for littering.

It is necessary for riders in the bunch to patrol this type of behaviour. Only a jackass purposely throws litter onto the road and this should never be ignored. Expect to be abused by aforementioned jackass when you draw attention to his indiscretion but remain calm and firm.

Eventually the message will get through but in the meantime the image of our sport suffers unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

I mentioned two riders and gave numbers, one Comeragh and one Drogheda, to a commissaire after the Navan race a couple of weeks back. Both dumping stuff from the middle of the bunch under absolutely no pressure. Disappointingly he wasn't interested at all. He suggested I bring it up with the provincial branch and get them to bring it to the respective clubs. Wasn't very encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

In A4 bunch today at Carrick on Suir there was fellows throwing wrappers left right and center. This is really really bad form. It's not TDF ffs and it was only 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Saps. Keep your empty wrappers in your pockets. There is space for them there seeing as you pulled it from there in the first place.

I was marshalling one of the Swords open races a few years ago and a lady civilian who was travelling in the same direction as the race, but just ahead of it, stopped in the middle of the junction, thus blocking it entirely, so as to tell me that she saw "one of my friends" throwing a bottle in the hedge. She insisted on describing him and giving out to me about it. In the meantime, I'm trying to get her to clear the junction so the guys can pass safely. I failed and the race was disrupted, just a little bit, but it could have been badly impacted.

Littering riders, pay attention. Your bad behaviour gets noticed and has repercussions which you can't imagine whilst you spin around blighting the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

I think race organisers might ask Comms to make a stand at their races. Locals endure enough disruptions without racing (and touring) visitors littering on top of it. Perhaps it's a question got The College of Commissars' for next year's AGM - how many penalties were issued for littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Its quite simple. Take your gel and stuff the wrapper up the front of your jersey. That way you don't take empty gel wrappers out of your back pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

inc21 wrote: »
    In A4 bunch today at Carrick on Suir there was fellows throwing wrappers left right and center. This is really really bad form. It's not TDF ffs and it was only 60k.

I nailed 2 of them on the spot yesterday but they don't tend to back answer me, they just squirm away asap. Maybe next time I'll berate the offender but follow it up with a very loud general holler STOP THROWING YOUR RUBBISH ON THE GROUND.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 joe50

fixie fox wrote: »
    the fact that it was close to home had nothing to do with it.. it's simply down to it being completely unacceptable carry on

did the same up in carrick yesterday too..

when you give a roar at a lad for doing it, they don't tend to respond badly, in fact, they're generally pretty sheepish, and realise how ridiculous what they've done is

the sooner people realise it's unacceptable the better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

littering, its just bad form. Down with that sort of thing!

I dont race, but I do a 45-50 km spin around Co. Kildare & Co. Meath and I try to improve on my times & I do use gels & drinks, after last years tour of Co. Meath, the amount of discarded gel wrappers on the road side was astonshing. They would not do it if there were greater penalties if they get reported by fellow cyclists, supporters/marshalls or by Commissars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Cyclists should know better, it disgusts me to see the mattresses , rubbish bags ,washing machines ,not to mention the amount of alcohol cans and bottles dumped in ditches I cycle by on my spins ,but to add to that is just not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Did the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge today, an 80k route. 11k in, at the very first hill, I was disgusted to see gel wrappers thrown on the ground. It was a leisure cycle, not a race. We were only warming up, if someone was sucking on gels at that stage they should have just turned and gone home. An absolute disgrace, and I was disappointed that I hadn't seen the culprit.
    Also came across gel wrappers all around Corkscrew Hill. Some cyclists are just a disgrace. Rant over, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

tacklemore wrote: »
    Did the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge today, an 80k route. 11k in, at the very first hill, I was disgusted to see gel wrappers thrown on the ground. It was a leisure cycle, not a race. We were only warming up, if someone was sucking on gels at that stage they should have just turned and gone home. An absolute disgrace, and I was disappointed that I hadn't seen the culprit.
    Also came across gel wrappers all around Corkscrew Hill. Some cyclists are just a disgrace. Rant over, thank you

Jaysis, 11km feed. Get a breakfast.

Advertisement